How many files can a student submit in the same assignment in Canvas?

Jump to solution
mgomez4olimpo
Community Novice

Hello, Canvas Community:

I need to know How many files can a student submit in the same assignment in Canvas?

Thanks!

0 Likes
1 Solution
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there, @mgomez4olimpo ...

I'm not sure there is a limit to the number of files that could potentially be submitted.  But...here are some things to keep in mind:

• Technically, if an instructor required it for the assignment, a student could upload a compressed *.zip file which may contain many files/folders.
  • Canvas does allow you to submit multiple files as part of the same submission.  For example, as shown in this Guide, How do I submit an online assignment? - Instructure Community, students can click on "+ Add Another File" to select more files to attach to the assignment submission.  Repeat this to add more files.
    • If unlimited attempts at the assignment are allowed by the instructor, the student could submit several files one right after the other...one file per submission/re-submission (new attempt).  In this way, every submission and re-submission is time/date stamped, and the instructor would have access to each and every submission from the student.
    • If the instructor configured the assignment for a limited amount of attempts, the using a compressed *.zip file might be worthwhile...unless the student attached all the files one at a time for a single submission.
  • An instructor could limit the file types (such as only allowing MS Word documents or PDF file to be submitted), but that would not necessarily limit the number of files of that could be submitted.  It would only limit the types of files that could be submitted.

I hope this makes sense and will help a bit.  Let Community members know if you have any other questions about this...thanks!

View solution in original post