cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mpratt
Community Member

How should I format multiple choice questions in Canvas?

Do I put an * in front of the correct answer on multiple choice questions?

Do I number the questions or leave them blank as in Etudes?

Etudes numbered and loaded questions in forum in mass.

Please advise when convenient.

Gratitude.

Merry Pratt

Hartnell College

Salinas CA

3 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

@mpratt ​...

I replied to a similar question you posted a short time ago here: How to format MC questions?  In that reply, I provided a link to this Canvas Guide: How do I create a Multiple Choice quiz question? ... which provides detailed instructions on how to designate a "Correct" answer for a Multiple Choice question in a quiz.  You do not necessarily need to number your questions...as Canvas would number them for you (from the student's side).  However, while editing your questions, Canvas does not show you any question numbers.

NOTE: This is being addressed in the new quizzing engine that Instructure is currently working on (no release date announced yet).  Please refer to these areas in the Community for more information:

Canvas Studio: Modern Quizzing Engine

Quizzes.Next: Modern Quizzing in Canvas

Also, in reading through your question, are you trying to mass-upload/batch-upload lots of questions all at one time?  If so, this is possible with a piece of software called Respondus.  You can find out more about this by visiting a blog posting I wrote a while back: Batch Uploading Quiz Questions with Respondus​.  This blog is located in the Canvas Admins group here in the Canvas Community, and if you are not following that group, you can click on that link and click on the "Follow" link on the top right corner of the page.

I hope this is helpful, Merry!

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

@mpratt ​...

You also asked about Etudes.  I don't have any experience with Etudes, but I wanted to let you know about the Etudes Migration Tool Users group here in the Canvas Community which you could certainly join/follow.  The people in this group may be able to assist you with Etudes specific questions.

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

@mpratt ​...

I wanted to check in with you because there hasn't been any new activity in this thread since my responses on October 2nd.  Did either of my responses help to answer your question?  If so, please go ahead and mark one of them as "Correct".  But, if you are still seeing help with your questions, please let members of the Canvas Community know that, too.  I am going to go ahead and mark your question as "Assumed Answered" because we haven't heard from you since you first posted this question.  However, that won't prevent you or others from posting additional questions/comments to this topic below.  Looking forward to hearing from you, Merry.