cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
StardustLuna
Community Member

How to Disable Ctrl+F on a page

Jump to solution

Hello! I am developing a course for higher Ed. Throughout the course there are several quizzes students have to take based on the content in the modules. Is there a way to disable students from using the Ctrl+F or Cmd+F shortcut keys to prevent them from searching the pages for the relevant information on the quiz? 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
gpillsbury
Community Participant

No, this is not possible,  CNTL-F is a web browser function that can't be disabled just for the Canvas web site.  The only way to achieve this would be to insist that the students use a special web browser such as Respondus' Lockdown Browser.

-Glenn

View solution in original post

2 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi @StardustLuna ...

There is nothing in Canvas that I am aware of that would disable the Ctrl+F or Cmd+F keyboard shortcuts for your students.  To be honest, I am not sure if this would even be considered Canvas functionality...because this keyboard combination can be used for a wide variety of applications on your computer...not just Canvas.  Searching Google a little bit, people mention there are extensions you can install in a Chrome browser, but I have no idea how those extensions work...and I assume if those extensions are used, they have to be installed/added to every computer that wants to use them.

While I understand why you'd want to do this, I'm just not sure it's really possible.  I could be wrong, though...who knows.

Sorry that I don't have better information for you, but I hope this helps to answer your questions.

gpillsbury
Community Participant

No, this is not possible,  CNTL-F is a web browser function that can't be disabled just for the Canvas web site.  The only way to achieve this would be to insist that the students use a special web browser such as Respondus' Lockdown Browser.

-Glenn

View solution in original post