cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tiara_ferrell
Community Member

How to access published pages after modules are unpublished

Jump to solution

I want students to have access to a few pages in my modules even after the modules are not published (for the purpose of review).  How can I do this?  When I unpublish the module, students can see the pages listed but not view them.

Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ysmalls
Community Champion

Hi  @tiara_ferrell ‌,

They wont have access to the module but you can always create a direct link to the pages.  I would suggest creating a page listing the titled of each page and linking the page to that.  

Example would be that on your Homepage you create a button (image or something) that says "Review" or something like that and link that button to a "Review" page and link (list) all the pages you still want them to have access to.

Hope this makes sense.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
ysmalls
Community Champion

Hi  @tiara_ferrell ‌,

They wont have access to the module but you can always create a direct link to the pages.  I would suggest creating a page listing the titled of each page and linking the page to that.  

Example would be that on your Homepage you create a button (image or something) that says "Review" or something like that and link that button to a "Review" page and link (list) all the pages you still want them to have access to.

Hope this makes sense.

View solution in original post

kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @tiara_ferrell  , and  Welcome to the Canvas Community!

I think the easiest way to accomplish this in Canvas would be to create a separate module (let's call it "Review Documents" just for funzies), and add those pages to that module. You could even drag that module to the top of your Modules page to make it more convenient. Using this method,, you could even un-publish an old set of review documents, while adding a new set. This way, you could simply keep all your review pages in that module, and reuse it every term.

Note: Canvas will append a "-X" with X being a number to show that the document is a copy, but if your pages are logically and descriptively titled, it won't confuse your students.  What I do for these (yes, I actually do this in some of my own courses), is edit the title of the copy by changing the "-X" to either the name of the module, or in your case to "Review Copy".

I hope this is helpful,

Kelley

Hi ysmalls

I seem to be stalking you this morning. I think you won the dueling fingers on this one, though!

Thanks for being so very helpful to our Community!

Kelley

ysmalls
Community Champion

@kmeeusen ,

Should I keep an eye on you?  LOL

I like the modules suggestion and to be honest more of my teachers like working with pages only and I seem to gravitate towards pages too.

Hi again, ysmalls

I also prefer Pages, and strongly recommend them to my faculty. Easier to make accessible, easier to update (especially if I embed GoogleDocs in them). Files are a pain-point too many times.

Me