Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
d_j_heslenfeld
Community Participant

How to add TA's to groups?

Jump to solution

Hi

I have 20 groups of students and I would like to add the TA's to their groups. How do I do that?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kblack
Community Champion

Hi  @d_j_heslenfeld  - Actually, there is no need to. TAs have the same rights in that regard that you do. Like you, they can head to PEOPLE and view all of the groups.

Now, I noticed you said "add TAs to their groups."  By default, TAs will see ALL groups, not just ones that you may have assigned them to.  There is really no way to restrict them just to specific groups. You might want to think of having your Canvas administrator also enroll them a students, which is outlined in a post from  @chofer ‌ here: Easy Student Group Access for Instructors . You may notice that one of the comments underneath notes that they have run into a few issues with this, however, regarding dual rights.  I personally have not tried this (we have few TAs at my institution) but it may be something to try out to see if it works or not.

Otherwise, the default rights for your TAs are indeed fine as they are.

I hope this helps a bit, Dirk!

View solution in original post

3 Replies
kblack
Community Champion

Hi  @d_j_heslenfeld  - Actually, there is no need to. TAs have the same rights in that regard that you do. Like you, they can head to PEOPLE and view all of the groups.

Now, I noticed you said "add TAs to their groups."  By default, TAs will see ALL groups, not just ones that you may have assigned them to.  There is really no way to restrict them just to specific groups. You might want to think of having your Canvas administrator also enroll them a students, which is outlined in a post from  @chofer ‌ here: Easy Student Group Access for Instructors . You may notice that one of the comments underneath notes that they have run into a few issues with this, however, regarding dual rights.  I personally have not tried this (we have few TAs at my institution) but it may be something to try out to see if it works or not.

Otherwise, the default rights for your TAs are indeed fine as they are.

I hope this helps a bit, Dirk!

View solution in original post

d_j_heslenfeld
Community Participant

Dear Ken

Indeed, I would like to add them to THEIR groups so that they can communicate easier. I have 400 students, 20 groups and 12 TA's. Now if a TA sends a message to his or her group, all instructors will see that. Students cannot send a message to their group including their TA. They have to communicate outside of canvas. It would be a useful feature if we could add TA's to (multiple) groups as members.

Thanks

Dirk

Hi  @d_j_heslenfeld  - Yeah, that's kind of what I thought!  Hmm; in that case it may be a worthwhile Feature Idea for you to consider (How does the feature idea process work? ), but you should also be aware that Canvas is trying to making improvements to various permissions (https://community.canvaslms.com/community/ideas/priority-granular-permissions ), specifically to make them more granular.  Maybe in the future there could be more customized roles for TAs, though unfortunately your guess is as good as mine on that one.