cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
petercr
Community Member

How to add answer keys to homework assignments

How to add answer keys that unlock after assignments are submitted?

I want my students to be able to check their answers on written homework assignments (i.e. those for which quiz format is not appropriate) before the midterm and without having to wait on me to see and grade their submissions. Therefore, I want to have an answer key that unlocks when an assignment is complete but I cannot figure out how to do this in Canvas.

6 Replies
kblack
Community Champion

This is currently most easily handled for online submissions of assignments rather than the traditional definition of "written" assignment, by which I assume you mean they turn it in to you on paper.  If indeed they are ONLINE submissions, you can use Modules with prerequisites, as outlined here:

And so it can then be unlocked for a student when it is submitted online.  Here is a quick sample from the student perspective:

student view.jpg

Unfortunately, this is a course-wide setting and can not be set student-by-student.  There is talk of doing something with modules that can be done on a per-student basis, but that has not been released yet: Canvas Studio: MasteryPaths .

So, things are fine if everything is done electronically; not so much for paper submissions, but I imagine a few folks in the community out there may have some inventive work-arounds.

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello petercr​...

Checking in with you because there hasn't been any new activity in this thread since  @kblack ​'s response on September 28th.  Has the response from Ken helped to answer your question?  If so, please go ahead and mark his reply as "Correct".  However, if you are still seeking assistance, please post an additional message below so that members of the Canvas Community can continue to help.  For now, I am going to mark this question as "Assumed Answered", but that will not prevent you or others from posting additional questions or comments below.  Thanks Christina!

vivat_bangurash
Community Participant

I have the same question.  I know modules could be a good way to do this.  However, in quizzes, we are able to attach an answer key if we choose an essay question.  Is there a function like that in assignments?  If not, is that something that could be added?

If you'd like to add functionality to Canvas then you'd want to request it as a Feature Idea in the https://community.canvaslms.com/community/ideas?sr=search&searchId=7abd9bad-998d-45ce-bd0a-61b27578c...‌ area of the Community. 

Community Member

Ken,

If I have multiple assignments within a module, how can I set it so that each answer key unlocks only when the corresponding assignment has been completed?  Currently I have changed my setting to reflect that all assignments must be submitted, but I'm not sure if that means that assignment #3 must be completed before the student can view assignment #1's answer key.  I have each key placed directly under each assignment in my module.

vivat_bangurash
Community Participant

I'm attempting something like this for the 1st time this year.  I'm going to include a bellringer quiz on canvas. 1 of the questions will that the students submit a pdf/pic (camscanner) of their homework.  Once the quiz is submitted, they'll be able to see the answers for the bellringer and their hw.  I'll also know if they actually did their hw b/c I'll Have a picture of it.