cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gabril
Community Member

How to add courses? (new to Canvas)

Jump to solution

I am new to Canvas and I am able to log on to my profile, but I can't add courses to my account.  The only course is welcome to Canvas?  Am I doing something wrong or am I not allowed access yet?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@gabril , are you using a free for teachers Canvas account or are you using Canvas through your Institution? If you are using a free for teachers account you should be able to add a course by clicking on the "Start a New Course" button - How do I create a new course shell?

If you are using Canvas through your Institution and you don't see the "Start a New Course" button then it has probably been turned off by your Institution (we do this at our Institution). In this case you'd need to contact Canvas Support at your Institution to get help with your course creation.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

3 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@gabril , are you using a free for teachers Canvas account or are you using Canvas through your Institution? If you are using a free for teachers account you should be able to add a course by clicking on the "Start a New Course" button - How do I create a new course shell?

If you are using Canvas through your Institution and you don't see the "Start a New Course" button then it has probably been turned off by your Institution (we do this at our Institution). In this case you'd need to contact Canvas Support at your Institution to get help with your course creation.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

gabril
Community Member

I believe I am using a Canvas through my institution, but I also have a free teachers account and I am able to put courses on that account.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Does the URL (web address) to Canvas that you are accessing have your Institution's name or acronym (ex: Richland or RCC)? If so, then it's Canvas through your institution.

Your best bet right now is to click on the Help link in Canvas and "report a problem." Explain the issue and support should be able to help!