Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zieglera

How to add google sheets document to collaboration?

Jump to solution

How to add google sheets document to collaboration area of existing group? When proceeding through start new collaboration, there is only choice for Google Docs, no choice for Google Sheets (spreadsheet file), and no way I can see to add such a file into Collaboration space. Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rmurchshafer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi Ann,

Canvas has two different google integrations and it sounds like only the older one is set up in your instance of Canvas.  In the collaboration space it is usually referred to as Google Docs and will only create documents.

The newer Google Integration creates a Google Drive tab in your course and when you try to initiate a Collaboration it is displayed as Google Apps.  It also gives you the option to create Documents, Spreadsheets or Presentations.  My instance of Canvas has both enabled so I get a drop-down option as you see below.

293903_pastedImage_2.png

293904_pastedImage_3.png

If it's not set up on your instance of Canvas you'll need to work with one of your Canvas admins to get it configured.  You can try to do it just with your course by going to Settings, Apps, and then searching for Google Apps.  Be sure to read the description; towards the end there is a link to generate a key and secrete combination that will be needed.  Having an admin do it is recommended though!

Rick

View solution in original post

1 Reply
rmurchshafer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi Ann,

Canvas has two different google integrations and it sounds like only the older one is set up in your instance of Canvas.  In the collaboration space it is usually referred to as Google Docs and will only create documents.

The newer Google Integration creates a Google Drive tab in your course and when you try to initiate a Collaboration it is displayed as Google Apps.  It also gives you the option to create Documents, Spreadsheets or Presentations.  My instance of Canvas has both enabled so I get a drop-down option as you see below.

293903_pastedImage_2.png

293904_pastedImage_3.png

If it's not set up on your instance of Canvas you'll need to work with one of your Canvas admins to get it configured.  You can try to do it just with your course by going to Settings, Apps, and then searching for Google Apps.  Be sure to read the description; towards the end there is a link to generate a key and secrete combination that will be needed.  Having an admin do it is recommended though!

Rick