cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kvanloo
Community Member

How to add non-students (e.g., co-instructors) to Student Groups?

Jump to solution

I am using Canvas as a collaboration tool for a university committee.  Because of this, all of the members of the committee are assigned as co-instructors to allow everyone to have full editing authority on our Canvas site.  We would also like to create teams via the Groups function on our Canvas site.  However, when we create a group, none of us are listed as possibilities to be added to the group because it only lists Students and none of us have the Student role assigned to us. Is there a way to add co-instructors to groups?  Or, is there a workaround so that we can both have editing authority on our Canvas site AND be able to be added to groups?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@kvanloo , I wasn't completely clear from your email, but are you talking about groups in a "course" or admin level groups?

If you are talking about groups in a course, then the best work around that I'm aware of is adding the co-instructors to the course also as students. I just went to a course where I'm an Instructor, added myself as a student (so now I have both roles listed), and then went to groups and my name now showed up so I could be assigned to a group.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

6 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@kvanloo , I wasn't completely clear from your email, but are you talking about groups in a "course" or admin level groups?

If you are talking about groups in a course, then the best work around that I'm aware of is adding the co-instructors to the course also as students. I just went to a course where I'm an Instructor, added myself as a student (so now I have both roles listed), and then went to groups and my name now showed up so I could be assigned to a group.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

kvanloo
Community Member

Hi  @kona ,

Yes, this does help!  Thank you!  To clarify, I meant adding co-instructors to course groups.  This workaround will take a little extra...work haha...but will be well worth it.  Thanks for your quick reply and help!

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Glad I was able to help!

johnmartin
Community Champion

So the only way to do this is to double the course size and give members two accounts to keep track of? Is this a feature request that is open? (I'll look...)

@johnmartin , NO, you don't need to have double accounts! You can have someone added to a course with multiple roles; see image below of my People view. To do this you would click the "+ People" button and put the teachers names and their role as Student. This will then give them both the Student and Teacher roles in the course.

DifferentRoles.jpg

johnmartin
Community Champion

Thanks Kona!! Very helpful!