cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cliff_cunningha
Community Contributor

How to allow students to upload to Box, but not see?

Jump to solution

At the University of Wisconsin-Madison, we have enterprise arrangements with Google and Box. We intend these third-party platforms to provide space for storage of large files.

One recurring question from faculty has been: Is there a way, within Canvas, to give students a link to a Google or Box folder... to let the students upload files, without allowing them to also see (and, technically, edit) other students' uploaded files?

At present, I cannot find a way to do that.

Related... Box does have an "Upload widget", that specifically allows this type of limited, one-direction file movement. But, the widget is in Javascript, and we can't get it to work in any Canvas HTML editor.

Has anyone figured out how to do this? Or, any suggestions?

Thx,

Cliff

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mzimmerman
Community Champion

Hello Cliff,

Do you have the Box LTI integration configured in Canvas?  That should allow students to submit files from Box for assignments, without actually sharing a Box folder with them.

My colleague  @lbarratt1 ‌ has a document about using Box with the LTI atUsing BOX in CANVAS , and vanzandt‌ has a more detailed discussion about what happens with student submissions from Box through the LTI athttps://community.canvaslms.com/thread/23082-how-do-boxcom-lti-assignment-submissions-work 

Mike

View solution in original post

3 Replies
mzimmerman
Community Champion

Hello Cliff,

Do you have the Box LTI integration configured in Canvas?  That should allow students to submit files from Box for assignments, without actually sharing a Box folder with them.

My colleague  @lbarratt1 ‌ has a document about using Box with the LTI atUsing BOX in CANVAS , and vanzandt‌ has a more detailed discussion about what happens with student submissions from Box through the LTI athttps://community.canvaslms.com/thread/23082-how-do-boxcom-lti-assignment-submissions-work 

Mike

View solution in original post

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello from Fond du Lac, WI,  @cliff_cunningha ...

I am reviewing some of the older questions here in the Canvas Community, and I stumbled upon your question.  I thought that I would check in with you because I noticed that we have not heard back from you since you first posted this question on April 2, 2019.  I see that  @mzimmerman  Thank You replied to you later that afternoon.  Do you feel that Mike's response and links he provided have helped to answer your question?  If so, please come back to this thread to click on the "Mark Correct" button next to his reply.  But, if you are still looking for help from Community members, please post a note below letting us know how we might be able to help you out.  For the time being, I am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered" because we've not heard back from you in about six months and because there hasn't been any new activity in this topic for about that same amount of time.  However, that won't prevent you or others from posting additional questions and/or comments below that are related to this topic.  I hope that's okay with you, Cliff.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon.

cliff_cunningha
Community Contributor

Thx, Chris... and Michael... for helping out here.

I do appreciate Michael's rapid response. And, I apologize for the lack of follow-through on my part.

It feels, based on how I read Michael's response, that there is a misunderstanding on what the root issue is.

I totally understand the primary ways we can incorporate Box folders with Canvas courses: linking to documents that are stored in the instructor's Box folders, allowing students to upload files in their own Box folders (for assignment submissions), turning on the Box tool in the nav-bar, etc.

But, I think the use-case I am pursuing is different than all these:

1. The instructor wants to create a Box folder in his own Box account.
  2. He wants students to be able to upload files directly to that Box folder... NOT through a Canvas assignment.
  3. He does NOT want students to be able to see other student's files in that Box folder.

Make sense? It's like... he wants to create a digital mail-slot... where students can submit their stuff, but not see stuff other students have submitted.

I kinda let the issue drop because... the instructor was able to do that OUTSIDE of Canvas. We were hoping to do it WITHIN Canvas... by embedding that Box folder as we would any other Box folder.

Anyway... I am content closing this issue. I'll just put it on the pile of, "If we get a chance, we'll look at it again sometime in the future."

Thx, again, for following up.

Cliff