Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sutaria

How to bundle files for SIS Import

If I have 5 files - Users, Accounts, Terms, Courses, Enrollments and I zip these CSV into one single zip file. In what order does Canvas processes them? I want Enrollments to be processed after Courses and Users. How do I specify that? Please suggest.

Tags (2)
4 Replies
MattHanes
Community Member

I don't think you have to specify, I believe it does them in the order they are listed on this page: SIS Import Format Documentation - Canvas LMS REST API Documentation 

pklove
Community Member

Its not quite in the order they appear on the page. 

change_sis_ids.csv, which is listed last, is processed first, which makes sense.

Although they appear to be processed in a sensible order for adds, It would be good if the documentation explicitly stated the order.

robotcars
Community Member

I believe the order you're looking for is automatic.

I wanted to add that in my experience the file names don't matter either. It processes them by csv headers, specifically it recognizes them as instructure_csv. I send it multiple files of each type with each import, this leads me to believe it collects all of the files and sorts them and imports them by hierarchy. 

My zip archives basically look like this:

fileapi
-employees.csvusers.csv
-employee-workrooms.csvcourses.csv
-workroom-enrollments.csvenrollments.csv
-site-conference-enrollments.csvenrollments.csv
-students.csvusers.csv
-sis-courses.csvcourses.csv
-sections.csvsections.csv
-student-enrollments.csvenrollments.csv
-teacher-enrollments.csvenrollments.csv

with batches and the file prefix being either weekly-, daily-, hourly-

and hourly files with 0 lines are removed before zipping

and the final import status will show "supplied_batches":["course","section","user","enrollment"] and the counts will have combined numbers

also https://community.canvaslms.com/thread/22550-peoplesoft-canvas-real-time-enrollment-sync#comment-998... 

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@sutaria ,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie