cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
susanjaneclark
Community Participant

How to change a number in a numbered list?

Jump to solution

Can I adjust the numbers in a numbered list I am creating on a CANVAS page? 

I am creating a numbered list but sometimes adding a Youtube link as well. This tends to interrupt the list, so the next item starts at 1.  How can I get it to continue on numbering from the previous numbered point on the list?

Thanks

Susan

Tags (1)
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
kblack
Community Champion

Hi  @susanjaneclark  - The semi quick-and-dirty method (which works in most word processing programs, too) is NOT to hit ENTER after typing a line but rather SHIFT-ENTER.  (While holding down the Shift key, press ENTER on your keyboard.)  This is known to us older folks as a "soft return" and generates a line break but not a new paragraph, which is what would otherwise "trigger" the numbering. That is exactly what I did to generate this sample screen just now:

Numbered list

In the above, after typing in video: I hit Shift-ENTER and then pasted the YouTube link.  I then hit ENTER (alone) to get the second numbered item after the video link, which as you see is correctly numbered 2.

The other method, which involves knowing a very tiny bit of HTML is, after generating the second number one that you see when hitting ENTER the normal way, enable the HTML editor and look for things with <ol> and <li>, which stand for "ordered list" and "list item," respectively.  It will look a bit like this:

HTML list item

So, within the ol brackets that start out your second group of items that originally started with (again) the number 1, add a space after ol and start="2" to re-start the list at number 2.

I hope this helps a bit, Susan!

View solution in original post

SusanNiemeyer
Community Participant

This little piece of code is very helpful! Thank you!

5 Replies
kblack
Community Champion

Hi  @susanjaneclark  - The semi quick-and-dirty method (which works in most word processing programs, too) is NOT to hit ENTER after typing a line but rather SHIFT-ENTER.  (While holding down the Shift key, press ENTER on your keyboard.)  This is known to us older folks as a "soft return" and generates a line break but not a new paragraph, which is what would otherwise "trigger" the numbering. That is exactly what I did to generate this sample screen just now:

Numbered list

In the above, after typing in video: I hit Shift-ENTER and then pasted the YouTube link.  I then hit ENTER (alone) to get the second numbered item after the video link, which as you see is correctly numbered 2.

The other method, which involves knowing a very tiny bit of HTML is, after generating the second number one that you see when hitting ENTER the normal way, enable the HTML editor and look for things with <ol> and <li>, which stand for "ordered list" and "list item," respectively.  It will look a bit like this:

HTML list item

So, within the ol brackets that start out your second group of items that originally started with (again) the number 1, add a space after ol and start="2" to re-start the list at number 2.

I hope this helps a bit, Susan!

susanjaneclark
Community Participant

Many thanks for your help Ken

SusanNiemeyer
Community Participant

This little piece of code is very helpful! Thank you!

SusanNiemeyer
Community Participant

This code works well for a numbered list, but now I need the HTML code for a list with letters. What do I need to ADD to this code in order to start the list at the letter "D?"

<ol style="list-style-type: upper-alpha;">

Hi there, @SusanNiemeyer ...

Super easy!

<ol style="list-style-type: upper-alpha;" start="4">
    <li>item 1</li>
    <li>item 2</li>
    <li>item 3</li>
</ol>

This will start your list with the letter "D" (the 4th letter of the alphabet).  Or, if you prefer lower case letters, just change "upper-alpha" to "lower-alpha".  Hope this helps!