cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dolce
Community Participant

How to determine number of submissions in a large class?

I have a faculty teaching an online 100 level grammar course. There are 600 students in the class.
Students in the class need to have submitted X number of assignments while attaining 80% average or higher.
Is there a way to tease out what students have met these requirements?

Course analytics only allows one to sort by "Page Views" and "Participation" NOT "Submissions."
Furthermore, I don't see a way to export that report in a fashion that would then allow us to parse out the data.

What am I missing? Help Canvas Community, you're my only hope.

260176_pastedImage_1.gif

4 Replies
kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @dolce  

If you scroll down to the bottom of Course Analytics you will find a table that, among other things, displays the numbers of submissions and final percentages by student. Not sure how useful this would be with a very large course, nor if your professor includes submissions that might not count, nor if by 80% your professor means 80% aggregate or individually for the assignment standard. Also note that "submissions" would include quiz and discussion submissions.See image below.........

260525_pastedImage_2.png

Another option would be to download the gradebook as a csv file, and perform some Excel magic to get a count for each student row. As an Excel spread sheet, your professor could delete any columns that don't count (quizes and discussions), and could even set the conditions for the row counts to exclude any the are less than 80%.

I hope this helps.

dolce
Community Participant

Hi  @kmeeusen ‌,
That is exactly the table I was looking at. If you check the label headings, it is not sortable by submissions. Which strikes me as lame.
We have already resorted to what you suggest: exporting the grade book and having our data/research guru look into whipping something up that will allow us to pull out the list of students we want. Hopefully, more robust analytics- and the ability to export the results! Will be forthcoming.
Be well, and as always, THANK YOU for your input!
--JD

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@dolce ,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie

dolce
Community Participant

One of our Big Brains wrote a python script to rip the information out of the gradebook CSV file. It's an unsustainable solution for our campus, but, it got us through last semester.

Be well,

--JD