cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
j_g_i_vanden_be
Community Member

How to download the name and studentnr from Canvas and import in Excel.

Jump to solution

I want to download the name and studentnr from Canvas and import that in Excel. How do I do that in such a way that I don't get the names with initials before it. I want to sort on surname.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kblack
Community Champion

Hi   @j_g_i_vanden_be  Welcome to the worldwide Canvas Community, where users can exchange ideas and ask questions, as you just did!  Unfortunately, this has been an ongoing issue and one that is apparently difficult for the Canvas engineers to resolve, as indicated on the response to this Feature Idea: https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/4140-last-name-first-name-as-separate-cells .

Anyway, depending on how comfortable you are with Excel (and it sounds like you are!), if you add a column immediately to the right of the first column, depending on the version of Excel that you are using you can start typing your names the way you would like them to appear.  (Last name, first name.)  After you input about the first two or so, Excel should "get the hint" and show you what the result will look like.  (Please see the screen capture below.)  As soon as you see that "hint" just hit the ENTER key and--presto!--Excel will populate that entire column with the names formatted as you desire.  I think this was introduced with Excel 2013; so earlier versions will not have this feature.

255525_last name sorts in Excel.jpg

Does that help you at all?

View solution in original post

4 Replies
kblack
Community Champion

Hi   @j_g_i_vanden_be  Welcome to the worldwide Canvas Community, where users can exchange ideas and ask questions, as you just did!  Unfortunately, this has been an ongoing issue and one that is apparently difficult for the Canvas engineers to resolve, as indicated on the response to this Feature Idea: https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/4140-last-name-first-name-as-separate-cells .

Anyway, depending on how comfortable you are with Excel (and it sounds like you are!), if you add a column immediately to the right of the first column, depending on the version of Excel that you are using you can start typing your names the way you would like them to appear.  (Last name, first name.)  After you input about the first two or so, Excel should "get the hint" and show you what the result will look like.  (Please see the screen capture below.)  As soon as you see that "hint" just hit the ENTER key and--presto!--Excel will populate that entire column with the names formatted as you desire.  I think this was introduced with Excel 2013; so earlier versions will not have this feature.

255525_last name sorts in Excel.jpg

Does that help you at all?

View solution in original post

Dear Ken,

I work a lot with Excel, but with this feature I was not known.

It works!

Thank you very much.

Jan van den Belt

Vrije Universiteit

Postgraduate School of Business and Economics

De Boelelaan 1105, HG-6A20

1081 HV  Amsterdam

+31 20 5985298

+31 6 53784042

Great!  Glad I was able to help, Jan!

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

What a great trick! Thank you for sharing!!