Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sschuler

How to edit assignment comments?

Jump to solution

Is it possible to edit feedback that I have given on a student's work in Assignments?  I see that I can delete a comment once I have made it, but shouldn't there be a way to edit my comment--say, if I find a typo or decide that I need to be clearer about something I've said?  How do I edit a comment I have made?

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
dhulsey
Community Champion

Hi,  @sschuler ‌! You cannot edit previously posted comments. I copy the comment to my clipboard. Delete the first comment. Paste the comment, edit, and repost. 

View solution in original post

Thanks.  I'm still trying to wrap my mind around why the software would be written this way.  It seems like it would be an obvious feature to include.  But hey, that's not your problem. 

View solution in original post

4 Replies
dhulsey
Community Champion

Hi,  @sschuler ‌! You cannot edit previously posted comments. I copy the comment to my clipboard. Delete the first comment. Paste the comment, edit, and repost. 

Stef_retired
Community Team
Community Team

@sschuler ‌,  @dhulsey ‌ is absolutely correct, and it's the workflow I adopted for many years. I would strongly recommend that you mute your assignments before grading and commenting in SpeedGrader, because even if you delete a comment, your students will receive notifications that contain the earlier text (assuming they have their Submission Comment notifications set to "Right Away" to an external source). Working behind that muting wall will prevent that, and let you delete comments and correct them at will.

Thanks.  I'm still trying to wrap my mind around why the software would be written this way.  It seems like it would be an obvious feature to include.  But hey, that's not your problem. 

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

I can see you found this feature idea, but I wanted to close the loop on this discussion so others (like myself!) can vote on it as well - https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/8293-allow-me-to-edit-comments?sr=inbox&ru=214782