cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ashleealcock
Community Member

How to enter data into a pdf document

When I open an assignment that is a pdf document how do I enter data into that document as I do not see any tools that allow me to do that.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @ashleealcock ‌...

I'm assuming that you are a student needing to download a PDF file that your instructor has provided to you.  If this is not the case, my apologies.

A PDF may or may not be editable...I believe that would depend on how the document was set up to begin with.  For example, if the document was set up to be a fillable form, then when you open it up with Adobe Reader, you could then fill in the fields that were a part of the form, save it, and send it back.  However, not every PDF is like that.  Without knowing exactly what the document looks like that you have, it's hard to give an exact answer.  Using Adobe Reader allows you to view PDFs and a few other things, but Adobe Acrobat (not Reader) has many more options and comes with a cost.  Here's a website I found for you on the comparisons: Adobe Acrobat Vs. Adobe Reader | Chron.com.  Also, you can download Adobe Reader here: Adobe Acrobat Reader DC Install for all versions 

I would contact your instructor to see how he/she wants you to enter the data into the document.  Hopefully your instructor help you get started.

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @ashleealcock ‌...

It has been almost two months since you first posted this question in the Canvas Community on April 9th and then received a response from me later that day.  Have you had an opportunity to review my reply?  If so, did it help to answer your question?  Or, are you still looking for some help with your original question?  If you feel that my above response helped to answer your question, please go ahead and mark it as "Correct".  But, if you are still looking for some help from the Community, please post a message below letting us know so that we can continue to help you.  Because this topic hasn't seen any new activity for quite some time and because we've not heard from you, I am going to mark this question as "Assumed Answered", but that won't prevent you or others from posting additional replies below.  I hope this is okay with you, Ashlee.  Looking forward to hearing from you soon!

aderosales
Community Member

Hello, this is pretty late so you probably know about Kami for Canvas. Students can edit a Google Drive PDF using Kami. The basic version allows for highlighting, underlining, text boxes, and commenting. Great tool.