Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jasmiene_doming
Community Member

How to generate reports in Tableau using multiple Canvas flat files (from Data Portal)

Hi! We are working on how we can further strengthen our Canvas user engagement for each colleges in our school. In connection to this, we would like to measure how each colleges uses canvas for a specified date range. 

Can anyone show me how I can generate report in TABLEAU using Canvas Data Portal flat files? I find it complicated to merge multiple flat files in Tableau in order to come up with the report I needed. 

Below is the sample screenshot of what I need to generate to measure user engagement for our institution:

Thank you.

2 Replies
perolavb
Community Contributor

First of all, the schema docs for canvas data is a good starting point: Canvas Data Portal

You have to find the fact and dimension tables/files that contains the information you need for your reports.

Connect the fact table to the dimensions in a star relation in Tableau Star schema - Wikipedia via the IDs documented in canvas data docs. When connected properly you can extrapolate and aggregate desired data in the tableau worksheet.

Tableau also have some nice training video courses here: Tableau Training: View Training Courses 

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@jasmiene_doming ,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie