How to grade posts and replies separately in a graded discussion

Jump to solution
lhastings2
Community Novice

I'd like to set up a graded discussion where students receive a grade for their post and a separate grade for their replies to small group members.  I would also like to set the due date for the posts to be different than the due date for small group replies.  How do I set up a graded discussion to be able to do this?  

1 Solution
kblack
Community Champion

Hi  @lhastings2  Welcome to the Canvas Community. Unfortunately, this feature is not available in Canvas. I recommend you vote "up" and comment on the following Feature Idea: https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/1555-multiple-due-dates-checkpoints-for-discussions .  As you can see, you are in good company with wanting this particular feature; you may want to read over some of the comments for some ideas.  There are several workarounds to this issue, including:

• Clearly separating the post from the reply in points in a discussion rubric.
  • Grade the discussion as you normally would, and then create a separate assignment (with no submission required) where you have a grade for the quality of the student replies.

This is a bit tricky with your desire to use groups, as well, because if you make the original discussion set only to a group discussion, there is no way to share a group discussion with the entire class.  (Not sure if you wanted to do that, but I figured I'd mention that here!)  But this is all do-able within a group, as well, but with the same caveat:  you'll have to make them separate grades at this point.

Hope this helps a bit, Lindsay, even if it is not the answer you're looking for!

View solution in original post