cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
emily
Community Champion

How to handle "do two of the following 15 things" in assignments?

Jump to solution

One of our courses wants to set up grading like this:

• 40% of the grade is from "daily grades" (think attendance and participation)
  • 60% of the grade is from required exercises
    • Of that, there are a number of exercises everyone has to do, and then students must complete ANY TWO items from a list of ~15 options. To get full points, students have to do the required + 2 more exercises

How would YOU go about setting this up in Assignments?

(The further complication, if you choose to tackle it for bonus points, is that the exercises are graded in ExamSoft, not directly in Canvas.)

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Emily, I haven't used ExamSoft so I'm not sure how that adds an extra layer of difficulty to this issue - is it that the grades are automatically passed from ExamSoft to Canvas or that they have to be manually uploaded? Regardless, I'm not sure how it makes the issue at hand any more or less difficult.

Back to the original issue... the only real problem with this is that the Instructor will need to double-check things and (potentially) manually do some work, otherwise it's pretty straightforward.

In Assignments have one Assignment Group worth 40% - add all relevant assignments to this group (attendance and participation). Create a second Assignment Group worth 60% and include ALL of the possible assignments for this group - required and optional (I would have a naming scheme set-up so it's clear which are required and which are optional). The next part is where you can vary things, but still get the same results...

1. Have the student notify the Instructor which two of the optional assignments they are going to do. The Instructor can then go to the gradebook and mark the rest of the optional assignments as EX (excused) in the gradebook. This way the student won't accidentally submit to them, the teacher will know the student isn't doing them, and the grade will be correct in the gradebook. The grade the student sees up to this point will be the correct grade regardless, but putting in the EX is more of a housecleaning thing to make sure everyone knows those assignments were excused.

2. At the end of the semester the Instructor can check to see which two optional assignments each student submitted and mark the rest of the optional assignments as EX (excused). The grade the student sees up to this point will be the correct grade regardless, but putting in the EX is more of a housecleaning thing to make sure everyone knows those assignments were excused.

3. At the end of the semester the Instructor can check to see that the student only did two optional assignments. That's it. Period. Technically as long as there's no grade listed for the other optional assignments, they aren't going to count against the student. They only count against the student if the student has a grade for them.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

1 Reply
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Emily, I haven't used ExamSoft so I'm not sure how that adds an extra layer of difficulty to this issue - is it that the grades are automatically passed from ExamSoft to Canvas or that they have to be manually uploaded? Regardless, I'm not sure how it makes the issue at hand any more or less difficult.

Back to the original issue... the only real problem with this is that the Instructor will need to double-check things and (potentially) manually do some work, otherwise it's pretty straightforward.

In Assignments have one Assignment Group worth 40% - add all relevant assignments to this group (attendance and participation). Create a second Assignment Group worth 60% and include ALL of the possible assignments for this group - required and optional (I would have a naming scheme set-up so it's clear which are required and which are optional). The next part is where you can vary things, but still get the same results...

1. Have the student notify the Instructor which two of the optional assignments they are going to do. The Instructor can then go to the gradebook and mark the rest of the optional assignments as EX (excused) in the gradebook. This way the student won't accidentally submit to them, the teacher will know the student isn't doing them, and the grade will be correct in the gradebook. The grade the student sees up to this point will be the correct grade regardless, but putting in the EX is more of a housecleaning thing to make sure everyone knows those assignments were excused.

2. At the end of the semester the Instructor can check to see which two optional assignments each student submitted and mark the rest of the optional assignments as EX (excused). The grade the student sees up to this point will be the correct grade regardless, but putting in the EX is more of a housecleaning thing to make sure everyone knows those assignments were excused.

3. At the end of the semester the Instructor can check to see that the student only did two optional assignments. That's it. Period. Technically as long as there's no grade listed for the other optional assignments, they aren't going to count against the student. They only count against the student if the student has a grade for them.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post