cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
carolinaserrato
Community Participant

How to import my rubrics from the administrator to the groups section

I created a rubric inside the course accounts that I manage, since I have an administrator role. The problem is, when I try to import the rubric to both MY groups and my teacher´s groups the rubric is nowhere to be found! I have tried using outcomes, search for rubrics, etcetera....and yet, nothing. Zilch. Zero. Can someone help me, pleeease? #rubrics #importrubric 

Tags (1)
5 Replies
kblack
Community Champion

Hi  @carolinaserrato ‌ - Sorry that your question has been out here for a few days.  I'm no high-level expert on this, but this sounds like you may be trying to import it to a different account from where you created it.  This all depends on the sub-account level hierarchy in your institution, as covered here:  What is the hierarchical structure for Canvas accounts?   Just because you may have the ability to create a rubric within a certain account does not necessarily mean you will be able to find it in another.  To use the example in the diagram of that page I linked to, I could be the sub-account manager of both the College of Technology as well as the College of Humanities, but a rubric that I created in the College of Technology would not be found for a class that was in the College of Humanities that I was trying to populate with material. 

The only way to guarantee that a rubric could be found by absolutely everyone would be to place it in the top-most account, the University level, which is obviously not ideal in most situations.

Unfortunately, there is no way to transfer rubrics from one sub-account to another.  One older Feature Idea is to have the ability to share it to Canvas Commons: https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/1397-ability-to-share-a-rubric-to-the-commons .  I understand that this was something also brought up at the Khaki 2017 gathering of leading Canvas users, though it does not appear to have made the top 12 list of priorities.  

If you are positive that your rubrics ARE in the same sub-account for a course to which you are trying to add it, be sure you are scrolling all the way through that list of courses to import rubrics from when you're trying to find it!  Sub-account rubrics are at the very, very bottom of that listing in my general experience....'way after the course sites you are associated with.  There are multiple scrollbars present in that dialog box.  You may also be interested to two great enhancements created by Community member  @James ‌:  Sorting the Find a Rubric dialog and also (especially you wind up having to add a rubric to multiple places) Importing Rubrics from a Spreadsheet .

I hope some of this information helps a bit in this mystery, Carolina!

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@carolinaserrato ,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie

ahardesty
Community Contributor

I am experiencing a similar problem. I created a rubric at the account level (as an admin of that account). When I go to add it to a course that is in that same account it does not show up. Is there a trick to getting it to appear?

kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @carolinaserrato 

While the "Find a Rubric" functionality tends to totally reek for the most part, I am able to find rubrics at the course-level that I created at the account level.

Account-level Rubrics...............

296518_pastedImage_2.png

Same rubrics in Find Rubrics at Course Level................

296519_pastedImage_4.png

The trick is to find your Canvas account in the Find Existing Rubric dialog box................

296520_pastedImage_6.png

I did not have time to experiment with Groups, but strongly suspect it is the same.

Kelley

jsaldana17
Community Participant

Hi Kelley,

Thanks for the screenshots of how you were able to get the rubrics to show up.  I did notice that when you have the find a rubric window open, were the rubrics placed in another course first?  When I click find a rubric I get a list of courses that have rubrics that I have rubrics but the one I created in the subaccount level is nowhere to be found.

Juan