cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jason_potter
Community Member

How to include a file that students should download and complete and then upload to an assignment in Canvas.

Jump to solution

I am new to Canvas, so apologies for my following, probably silly question:

I see that one can create an assignment that asks a student to upload a document to that assignment area in Canvas, but unlike D2L, I don't see how I can make the file (in this case, a worksheet/study guide with a series of questions the students are to answer) available to students from within the assignment as it appears to them.

All help is appreciated.

Jason P

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @jason_potter  Welcome to the Canvas Community.  Thanks for posting your question.  This is pretty simple.  When you are designing your assignment using the RCE (Rich Content Editor), you will attach your file that you want students to download right in the directions to the assignment.  If you are looking for settings under the RCE (where you'd choose how you want students to submit, the due date, etc.), you won't find that anywhere.  So, what most people will do is put the file in the directions for the assignment.  You can easily upload and link any file to your course by following the instructions in one of these Guides (depending on where your file currently lives):

https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12991-415265829 

How do I create a hyperlink or embed a file from Google Drive into the Rich Content Editor as an ins... 

How do I create a hyperlink from Microsoft Office 365 in the Rich Content Editor as an instructor? 

I hope this will help you, Jason.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @jason_potter  Welcome to the Canvas Community.  Thanks for posting your question.  This is pretty simple.  When you are designing your assignment using the RCE (Rich Content Editor), you will attach your file that you want students to download right in the directions to the assignment.  If you are looking for settings under the RCE (where you'd choose how you want students to submit, the due date, etc.), you won't find that anywhere.  So, what most people will do is put the file in the directions for the assignment.  You can easily upload and link any file to your course by following the instructions in one of these Guides (depending on where your file currently lives):

https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12991-415265829 

How do I create a hyperlink or embed a file from Google Drive into the Rich Content Editor as an ins... 

How do I create a hyperlink from Microsoft Office 365 in the Rich Content Editor as an instructor? 

I hope this will help you, Jason.

View solution in original post