cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jawmedina
Community Participant

How to make it so one student can't participate in the course until a prerequisite is met?

Jump to solution

How can I keep only one student from participating in the course until she or he completes a prerequisite? 

For example, all students will be moving to module 4, but I want one student to have to complete a quiz before she or he is allowed to move on to module 4. Is that possible? If so, how would I set that up? 

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
scottdennis
Community Team
Community Team

Hi @jawmedina 

If you set a quiz to be just for one student, other students will not see it listed in the grade report, etc.

https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Instructor-Guide/How-do-I-assign-a-quiz-to-an-individual-student/...

View solution in original post

You will definitely want to test this, but I believe you can make a quiz only for one student, make that quiz a completion requirement for a module and then make completion of that module a prereq for the next module without affecting students who don't have the assigned quiz.  Again, you will need to test this with test accounts.

Screen Shot 2021-07-27 at 8.38.39 AM.png

13 Replies
lshulman
Community Participant

I do not have an answer for you but I am wondering WHY you would want to apply a prerequisite to only ONE student? That does not seem fair to me. Why not require ALL students to do the quiz in question?

Or maybe this quiz is a remedial task that only this one student needs to do?

In that case, perhaps set the quiz setting just adjust the "assign to" status for only that one student?

jawmedina
Community Participant

Hi Ishulman,  You mentioned, "I am wondering WHY you would want to apply a prerequisite to only ONE student? That does not seem fair to me." This would be in the case of plagiarism. Sometimes students don't read their messages or emails, and some don't understand plagiarism so I would want to create a quiz that notifies the student of the issue and provide a tutorial that they have to pass before they can continue on in the course.  You also mentioned, "perhaps set the quiz setting just adjust the 'assign to' status for only that one student." Does that appear in the gradebook for everyone or just the one person? Does it make it so it is required and the student can't move on in the course? 

scottdennis
Community Team
Community Team

Hi @jawmedina 

If you set a quiz to be just for one student, other students will not see it listed in the grade report, etc.

https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Instructor-Guide/How-do-I-assign-a-quiz-to-an-individual-student/...

jawmedina
Community Participant

That is good to know. How can I make it required so the student cannot move forward in the course until it is completed and so It won't affect other students?  

You will definitely want to test this, but I believe you can make a quiz only for one student, make that quiz a completion requirement for a module and then make completion of that module a prereq for the next module without affecting students who don't have the assigned quiz.  Again, you will need to test this with test accounts.

Screen Shot 2021-07-27 at 8.38.39 AM.png

lshulman
Community Participant

It should appear in the grade book and only impact on the one student you assign to the quiz. 

Can also do the same process for a regular assignment:

https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Instructor-Guide/How-do-I-assign-an-assignment-to-an-individual-s... 

@scottdennis - I like this solution a lot! I second the suggestion to test out the module requirements using a test account. Since you can't assign to Test Student, it may be something that @jawmedina needs to collaborate on with their Canvas Admin. 👍

@jawmedina - When you differentiate items through Modules, those "specialty" items only appear for students to whom they are assigned. It's a great way to be a gatekeeper without it being known to others in the course. I hope this works for you!

gnoack
Community Champion

@jawmedina , @klundstrum , @lshulman , @scottdennis 

I'll be curious to find out if this solution works.  The issue I see is that other students won't see the quiz, but they will see the module. You can't assign a module to just one student.  Since the prerequisite in this case would be set in the Unit 4 module settings, and only one student has access to the prerequisite, I worry that all of the other students won't be able to access Unit 4 because they don't have access to that activity.  The issue is that I don't think the Unit 4 Module will be able to distinguish that only one student has the quiz assigned to it. 

Thanks, Kristin!  If I remember correctly this worked, like five or six years ago, the last time I needed to do something similar but things change over time so I would most definitely recommend testing it with fake students, maybe in FFT.