How to message students from Anonymous Assignments

paulrettey_ceg
Community Member

As the title suggests, I'm in a bind here.

How can students be chased if the ability to message students who have not submitted is disabled because of anonymous marking?

The workflow we use is as follows: We use Tii LTI

A student has been graded in Tii.

Tii then sends information to the courses Gradebook (Grades)

This defeats Tii's own anonymous setting by making information visible to Tutors inside Canvas.

So it logically follows to ensure complete anonymity the Assignment container used by the Tii LTI should also be set to anonymous. Now the assignment is completely anonymous, but we cannot contact any students who have not submitted.

I'm looking for creative solutions that maintain anonymity but also allow students to be contacted if they have not submitted.

Things I've already suggested:

Turning off anonymous inside the canvas assignment, but that compromises the anonymity of the student

Turning off the anonymous setting to message students and then turning it back on (you can do this on the assignment), but that compromises the anonymity of the student and we don't know when people are looking at the course as page information can be served at the time information is being revealed and stays in position until the user leaves the page.

Mainly I want to make sure I've not missed something and if anyone has hit this.

Thanks in advance