cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
asabrin
Community Member

How to open a file when it says "File not found"?

I have clicked on Modules, then clicked on the Resources tab and then I am on the page. When I click on the link to open a Word document, it loads for a few seconds, then it says "File not found". When my colleague clicks the link, it opens up just fine for them. What to do to fix this issue?

4 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Have you tried switching Internet browsers (Chrome or Firefox) or trying it on a different computer to see if that helps?

kblack
Community Champion

I'll just add to this by saying that I believe this is one of the side effects of the issues being reported with the Rich Content Editor; at least it was for one of the instructors and students at my institution yesterday:  Canvas Status - Issues with Rich Content Editor in Canvas .  You may want to remove the link altogether and try re-establishing it to see if that helps at all.  hfchen posted a possible work-around here, though I haven't tried it out yet:  file storage/management in Canvas .

tross
Community Champion

This is a current known bug created in the last release.  If the teacher has the Files option hidden in Navigation, you cannot open a file at all until the bug is corrected.  The only option currently is for the teacher to change the files option so students can see files.  If you are the teacher of a course, just make sure to secure or unpublish any files you don't want students to see.

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @asabrin ...

I have been reviewing older questions here in the Canvas Community, and I came across your question.  We have not heard back from you at all since you first posted this question on November 2, 2017.  In reviewing the feedback that you've received thus far, it looks like this may have been a bug which has now been resolved by Instructure engineers.  Are you still experiencing this issue on your end?  Has it been resolved for you?  If you could please come back to this thread to post an update, that would be helpful.  Also, if you feel that one of the above replies has helped to answer your question, please feel free to mark it as "Correct".  But, by all means, if you are still experiencing issues with this, please let us know...or even contact the Help Desk folks at Instructure to report a ticket.  For now, I am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered" because we've not heard back from you and because there hasn't been any new activity in this topic for over four months.  This won't keep you or others from posting additional questions and/or comments below that are related to this topic, however.  I hope that's okay with you.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon, Anne.