cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cmorgan7
Community Member

How to remove "Drop files here to add to Module"?

Jump to solution

How can I remove the "Drop files here to add to Module" that is showing up beneath each module in my course?  This just started showing up and it is extremely annoying because I need to be able to see more of the course on the screen at one time.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
escobedo2
Community Member

Once you add something to the module/s - if you navigate to another section (discussion, assignments, etc) and then back to modules - the "Drop files here to add to Module" disappears

View solution in original post

9 Replies
escobedo2
Community Member

Once you add something to the module/s - if you navigate to another section (discussion, assignments, etc) and then back to modules - the "Drop files here to add to Module" disappears

I have the opposite problem: I navigated away, and now I can't drag and drop to add files to the module. Is there a way to get the feature back?

urbansk6
Community Participant

Just refresh the page and it should update.

sphinney
Community Contributor

Is there any way to turn this "feature" off? It makes it very difficult for certain approaches to building modules. For example, some people like to flesh out all of their modules first, without adding content to them. With this new "feature" you end up with a very long page of modules and this new drop area under each one. In addition, we don't like to promote to our instructors that they should just load their modules with files, rather than intentionally building pages that provide context to any files or media added.

tadballew
Community Member

I totally agree with our OP friend that this feature is annoying, uninvited, and a space hog!  I don't want to have to add a temporary dummy page to every Module just so I can collapse them, nor do I have the slightest need for a reminder to populate my Modules.  Dragging and dropping files is dandy alright.  But give us an opt-out off switch when you foist a totally dispensable feature on us at random, please!

Geza145
Community Member

Found the solution to How to remove "Drop files here to add to Module"?

First I created my new Module. Obviously you will then see the annoying "Drop files here to add to Module"? I simply added some old file (one) and hit refresh.  "Drop files here to add to Module" feature disappeared. I then proceeded to include files that I really wanted into the Module. Don't forget to delete the unwanted old file.

Nope, the drop files box won't return for me.  Tried refreshing, tried logging out.  It's gone.  Canvas is really aggravating.

urbansk6
Community Participant

I was replying to the original post, not to the comment saying someone had the opposite problem. I might suggest starting a new post for the opposite problem so this can be a space to discuss OP's problem, otherwise things could get confusing on this thread.

sphinney
Community Contributor

Follow up to my original plea...

Please, please, please remove this invitation to "drop files" into modules. I have received a couple of questions from our instructors who were steered wrong from this confusing message. In one instance, an instructor just uploaded a bunch of Word documents that were instructions on how to participate in a discussion, or how to submit their assignment. The instructor, I guess, thought that this would then create the discussion and the assignment, rather than adding a discussion and an assignment to the module like they should have done. When I talked with the instructor, she said she was just following the instructions in that message to upload content to the module. We do train our faculty in how to use Canvas, but there will still always be some who get overwhelmed by all of the new information that they learn and then hit stumbling blocks like this. Fortunately, this is something that can easily be fixed if you would just remove this message that assumes there is just one way to use modules.