How to replace an image?

Jump to solution
u6032171
Community Explorer

I have an image in my course files.  Let's call it "image.png".  I want to replace that image with a similar image with better resolution, say "image2.png".  Now, on my computer, if I had, say, a web page that referenced that image in a folder somewhere, I could just remove "image.png", put "image2.png" in that folder, and rename it to "image.png".  However, it seems that on Canvas, this does not work, and when I replace an image with one having an identical name, images across my course become broken links.

How do I replace an image in Canvas and retain the links?

0 Likes
1 Solution
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Hi @u6032171 - You can do this! I do it often. Try changing the order in which you make your adjustments.

With image.png in Files, rename the image2.png to image.png on your desktop (or housed folder on your PC/device). Then, open Files. Drag and drop or upload that newly named image.png in the same folder as your original file. You'll see a window pop up asking you if you want to rename or replace the original file with this new file. If you say Replace, it will apply the change to every place in your course where the original one was embedded. It's awesome and can save a lot of time!

View solution in original post