cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
u0813962
Community Member

How to reuse quiz questions from particular quizzes?

I'm trying to reuse quiz questions for a final exam. When I click on "find questions", it shows a little box with the first few words of quiz questions, listed by question number, for the entire course, so,14 questions number one, 14 questions number two, etc. This makes it very difficult to find the questions I'd like to reuse, as I can't see either the full question or which quiz a question comes from. Worse yet, the list includes old versions of questions that have been edited, so I find myself needing to correct mistakes that I already corrected back when I finished building each quiz.

Is there some way to reuse the latest edits of quiz questions that lets me see the entire question and what quiz it's from?

4 Replies
don_bryn
Community Champion

Hi  @u0813962 ,

You have hit on one of the weaknesses of Canvas that is hopefully being addressed by ideas that are [hopefully] in development.  You can see how some discussion of it at https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/5604-question-bank-repository .

You might want to consider spending some time organizing questions and banks in a way that makes it easier for you to reuse questions.   For example, you should find all of your questions that you created within quizzes in a bank called "unfiled questions".  If you create banks with names you can always recognize and then copy your questions into those banks, you can more easily find them later.  It's also helpful to name each question, though that is quite a pain to do after the fact.

I've learned to create the questions I want for particular quizzes in banks labeled by course, chapter, and exercise number.  Then I create quizzes and pull the questions in from the banks.

Hope that helps.

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there,  @u0813962 ...

I have been reviewing older questions here in the Canvas Community, and I came across your question.  I wanted to check in with you because I noticed that we've not heard from you since you first posted this question on December 9, 2017 and then received some feedback from  @don_bryn  a day later.  Have you had an opportunity to review the reply that you received from Don?  If so, did his response help to answer your question?  Or, do you have any outstanding questions yet as it relates to your original question?  If you feel that Don's feedback has helped to answer your question, please feel free to mark his reply as "Correct".  However, if you are still looking for some assistance from members of the Community, please come back to this thread to post an update for us below so that someone might be able to assist you.  I'm going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered" because we've not heard from you and because there hasn't been any new activity in this thread for over four months.  However, that won't prevent you or others from posting additional questions and/or comments below that are related to this topic.  I hope that's alright with you, Daniel.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon.

KirstenSmith
Community Member

Canvas needs to address the MANY glitches and poor programming associated with their Quizzes.

@KirstenSmith ...

Are you referring to Classic Quizzes or New Quizzes?  If you are referring to Classic Quizzes, Instructure is no longer doing any development on that part of Canvas.  All development is now concentrated on New Quizzes.  If you have concerns about how things operate in New Quizzes, you can check out this area of the Community: New Quizzes Users - Instructure Community (canvaslms.com).  Hopefully this area of the Community site will be of some help to you.