cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vartouhi_asheri
Community Participant

How to track the date time if student accessed a test

Jump to solution

Student claims that they have taken the final but course analytic states that they have not... How can we be certain or what other means of tracking are there to see if the student truly attempted and it was a technical issue.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

vartouhi.asherian, there are two things we check in a situation like this: Page View logs and the Quiz Log.

What we start with from an admin side is the Page View logs - How do I view the page views for a user in an account?

We copy and paste the page views (back as far as you need them to go) into a word document. We then get the URL for the quiz and search (Ctrl F) the word document (with the page views) for the quiz URL (we normally only use the last part of the URL - with the course and quiz number). This will show you every time the student ever clicked on the quiz (for any reason) and how long they were on the page. If the student submitted something to the quiz it will show up with a green check mark. We like checking this first because sometimes we can quickly see that the student either never even clicked on the quiz or didn't click on it until after it was due. [Side note: We don't use the .csv file download because it doesn't show the date/time for when the person accessed each URL.]

If the page views show that the student accessed the quiz (and possibly submitted it) then we go to the quiz log, which shows all activity for a student for a specific quiz - How do I view a quiz log for a student? This provides a definitive answer as to what the student did or didn't do on the quiz.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

5 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

vartouhi.asherian, there are two things we check in a situation like this: Page View logs and the Quiz Log.

What we start with from an admin side is the Page View logs - How do I view the page views for a user in an account?

We copy and paste the page views (back as far as you need them to go) into a word document. We then get the URL for the quiz and search (Ctrl F) the word document (with the page views) for the quiz URL (we normally only use the last part of the URL - with the course and quiz number). This will show you every time the student ever clicked on the quiz (for any reason) and how long they were on the page. If the student submitted something to the quiz it will show up with a green check mark. We like checking this first because sometimes we can quickly see that the student either never even clicked on the quiz or didn't click on it until after it was due. [Side note: We don't use the .csv file download because it doesn't show the date/time for when the person accessed each URL.]

If the page views show that the student accessed the quiz (and possibly submitted it) then we go to the quiz log, which shows all activity for a student for a specific quiz - How do I view a quiz log for a student? This provides a definitive answer as to what the student did or didn't do on the quiz.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

vartouhi_asheri
Community Participant

Kona, the info was helpful I saw 2 entries as

https://csn.instructure.com/courses/1217264/quizzes/1589451?headless=1

Aug 11 at 6:54am

--

Internet Explorer 11.0

What does headless=1 mean…

Dr. Vartouhi Asherian

Senior Analyst, eLearning

Quality Matters Master Reviewer

Adjunct Instructor

Faculty Senator

College of Southern Nevada

eLearning Office

2300 E. Cheyenne Ave.

Las Vegas NV 89030

(Cheyenne S224F Sort code S2C)

702-651-4740 Phone

702-651-4908 Fax

vartouhi.asherian@csn.edu<mailto:vartouhi.asherian@csn.edu>

Unfortunately I can't access your instance of Canvas to see what you are seeing. Where was the headless=1 coming from? Page views?

vartouhi_asheri
Community Participant

I saw it when I copied the student URLs in to word from Canvas…

Dr. Vartouhi Asherian

Senior Analyst, eLearning

Quality Matters Master Reviewer

Adjunct Instructor

Faculty Senator

College of Southern Nevada

eLearning Office

2300 E. Cheyenne Ave.

Las Vegas NV 89030

(Cheyenne S224F Sort code S2C)

702-651-4740 Phone

702-651-4908 Fax

vartouhi.asherian@csn.edu<mailto:vartouhi.asherian@csn.edu>

I'm not 100% sure what the headless=1 means, but I did some checking on one of our students and it looks like it might be when the have clicked on the quiz (possibly from the assignment or grades page/link). You can copy the link from the word document into your instance of Canvas and see what comes up if you're curious.

To me this indicates that the student clicked on the quiz, but did not started taking it. [Normally if the student started taking the quiz it would look like this "quizzes/2653198/take?user_id=4068775 ".] I would then cross reference the day/time the student clicked on the quiz (the two entries you saw) with the due date/time for the quiz to start developing a timeline. You could also try checking the quiz log, but my guess is that the student never attempted to take this quiz.

Normally when we send this information to the instructor or student, we say something along the lines of "The student accessed quiz X on date, time, but there is no evidence to indicate that the student tried to take quiz X.

Hope this helps!