How to unpublish a course with graded assignments (or modify dashboard)

Jump to solution
tboult
Community Member

I've read various posts here and it seems one cannot unpublish a course.  This is not about student access to it, I know how to fix that, its about the very cluttered interface when there are dozens of "published" course in your dashboard.   I have 75 courses in my list and I like to keep archived ones for comparison to what I did before, but its too messy to have them all in published.   

I cannot understand the rationale for not allowing unpublishing. Once students lost access it is effectively unpublished to them, so why make it stay published and mess with the UI? 

0 Likes
1 Solution
rmurchshafer
Community Champion

As you mentioned you can't unpublish a course that has grades in it.  But you can control which courses appear on your Dashboard which it sounds like is really your main goal.  Here is a link to a guide for customizing your course list https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Instructor-Guide/How-do-I-customize-my-Courses-list-as-an-instruc... 

Once you set up favorites, only those will show on your Dashboard but you can also get to your others by clicking on Courses, View all Courses.

Rick

View solution in original post