cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
svandersteeg
Community Member

How to upload into "Files" with files from your Google Drive?

Jump to solution

I already have Google Drive access allowed into Canvas and can view my Google Drive folders & documents from my instructor Canvas page. BUT when I go to upload files for the students to view/access, I can NOT figure out how to easily upload my documents and files from Google Drive into the "files" portion of Canvas. It only gives me the option to upload from the docs on my computer. HELP please! Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
orwinr
Community Champion

Hi  @svandersteeg  and welcome to the Canvas Community.

I don't believe you can upload files directly from Google drive to the files area. You will need to download those files to your computer and then you can upload them to the files area.

If you haven't installed it, Google Backup and Sync will allow you to select files to keep synchronized across your local computer and your Drive account much like DropBox does. This will keep a copy in Drive and also on your computer at the same time. Unfortunately it does take up more space on your local hard drive to sync stuff. Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
orwinr
Community Champion

Hi  @svandersteeg  and welcome to the Canvas Community.

I don't believe you can upload files directly from Google drive to the files area. You will need to download those files to your computer and then you can upload them to the files area.

If you haven't installed it, Google Backup and Sync will allow you to select files to keep synchronized across your local computer and your Drive account much like DropBox does. This will keep a copy in Drive and also on your computer at the same time. Unfortunately it does take up more space on your local hard drive to sync stuff. Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

Hildi_Pardo
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Hi  @svandersteeg ‌:  

Instead of uploading files, you can instead, share your Google doc with your students by:

• adding a hyperlink to the document from the content area you are in (NOTE: make sure you have the sharing settings you want on your google document)
  • OR, since your Google drive seems to be integrated with Canvas, click the Google Apps icon in the Rich Text Editor, navigate to your document and either create the link or embed the document.

Here are Canvas Guides with images: