cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
audia_dominic
Community Participant

How to use Android Canvas App with Free Teacher Version of Canvas

Jump to solution

I currently use Canvas as part of the PLTW program and we have the site pltw.infrastructure.com.  We do not use Canvas though, in our school district, for any other purpose.  A group of Physics teachers in my department have decided to use the free teacher version of Canvas for teaching physics and have created separate accounts for these classes.

Questions.

1) Can students use the Canvas App in Google Play to access our free Teacher accounts?

2) Is there anyway to combine the two accounts for teachers so that we just use one login to access the PLTW classes and the free teacher classes.

3) Are their any apps in the Google Play store that students can use with the free teacher accounts?

Thanks

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jbrady2
Community Champion

Hi  @audia_dominic  In answer to your questions:

1) Yes the students will be able to access the courses you place in the free for teachers account through the Canvas app, but you will have to invite them to the courses you create using an email address for each student. This will also require that each student create their own free for teacher's account, either before or after you invite them, using the email address you use to invite them to the courses. To access the free for teachers account through the app, they will have to start typing canvas.instructure.com into the field where it initially says "Find your school or district" and look for Free Canvas Account to appear in the list and select that to log in.

2) As far as I know, there is no way to actually combine two accounts, but you can choose to keep one of the two accounts and export the courses/content from the other account, and then import it into the account you chose to keep.

3) There are several apps in the Play Store that can be used with Canvas depending upon what you want to accomplish. You can integrate Google Docs and Drive to allow the students to submit, edit, and store docs, etc. Dropbox also integrates with Canvas to allow for an easy way to store and share files. Also Twitter works with Canvas. Again, it depends upon what you would like to accomplish.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
jbrady2
Community Champion

Hi  @audia_dominic  In answer to your questions:

1) Yes the students will be able to access the courses you place in the free for teachers account through the Canvas app, but you will have to invite them to the courses you create using an email address for each student. This will also require that each student create their own free for teacher's account, either before or after you invite them, using the email address you use to invite them to the courses. To access the free for teachers account through the app, they will have to start typing canvas.instructure.com into the field where it initially says "Find your school or district" and look for Free Canvas Account to appear in the list and select that to log in.

2) As far as I know, there is no way to actually combine two accounts, but you can choose to keep one of the two accounts and export the courses/content from the other account, and then import it into the account you chose to keep.

3) There are several apps in the Play Store that can be used with Canvas depending upon what you want to accomplish. You can integrate Google Docs and Drive to allow the students to submit, edit, and store docs, etc. Dropbox also integrates with Canvas to allow for an easy way to store and share files. Also Twitter works with Canvas. Again, it depends upon what you would like to accomplish.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

audia_dominic
Community Participant

Actually, I really don't think that Canvas apps like Speedgrader or Canvas for Android can be used by anybody who uses the free Canvas Teacher accounts?  I think those apps might just be reserved for paying customers?

When I tried to login to my free teacher account on Canvas app on my Android Phone using the url canvas.infrastructure.com, I get this error message.

tempFileForShare_2016-08-27-10-00-56.jpg

My goal is to assign problems in class an have students do the problems in the canvas app or for me to use speedgrader on the free teacher version to do grading of projects on the spot.  Anybody get this to work with the free Teacher Version of Canvas?

@audia_dominic  There was a mispelling in your entry. It should be canvas.instructure.com. Try that.

tmp_18895-Screenshot_2016-08-27-11-54-42-817050878.png

This is my Free for Teacher's account opened in the Canvas app on an Android tablet.