Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mary_speight
Community Member

How to use sign-up groups without viewing all students in the course

I have an instructor who is using groups with the self sign-up option enabled. The groups are not listed under Groups in the account menu, so the People tool has to be available to them on the course navigation menu in order for the students to see these groups and join them.  I've changed the permissions on the student role to disable "see the list of users", but the students can still see everyone in the course list under the People tool, and I've unchecked the course settings box that lets students organize their own groups. Is there a way have students use the sign-up groups without allowing them to see the list of students enrolled in the course as well?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
kblack
Community Champion

Hi  @mary_speight ‌- Unfortunately, I do not think there is a good way to do this. I went on our Test server to try a few things out, and changing in the permissions in the student role to disable "see the list of users" essentially just disables the PEOPLE menu item which (as you have seen) you need to allow self-signup groups. There is movement afoot to make the permissions more granular that you may be interested in checking out some video regarding, but there is not a firm timeline on that yet, from what I can see.  You will want to keep an eye on this area: https://community.canvaslms.com/community/ideas/priority-granular-permissions .  But I can't think of a good way around this, myself.

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there,  @mary_speight ...

I have been reviewing older questions here in the Canvas Community, and I stumbled upon your question.  I wanted to check in with you because I noticed that we have not heard back from you since you first posted this question on March 16, 2018.  I see that  @kblack  replied to you a few days later.  Have you had an opportunity to review Ken's response?  If so, did his feedback help to answer your question?  Do you have any outstanding questions as it relates to your initial question?  Or, if you feel that Ken has helped to answer your question, please feel free to mark his question as "Correct".  However, if you are still looking for some help with this question, please come back to this thread to post an update so that a Community member might be able to assist you.  For now, I am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered" because we've not heard back from you and because there hasn't been any new activity in this thread for about four months.  However, that won't prevent you or others from posting additional questions and/or comments below that are related to this topic.  I hope that's alright with you, Mary.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon.

Hi Chris,

Thanks for following up on my question. I did find the response helpful! It's just unfortunate that I was correct. There's not a way to hide the People tool from students while still allowing them to view sign-up sheets. Smiley Sad