cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jknowlton
Community Participant

How to verify a student assignment submission?

Jump to solution

Is there a way for an administrator to see the content of a student assignment submission, or to verify that an assignment was submitted by a student, when the teacher did not receive the submission?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
tdelillo
Community Champion

@jknowlton - As an admin, there are two things I typically do when this issue arises:

1. Check the student's page views around the time they say they submitted. If there is a checkmark in the "Participated" column, they submitted the assignment. If you can see that they went to the URL for the assignment, and there isn't a checkmark, it often means they thought they submitted, tried unsuccessfully to submit, etc.

Caveat: The participation checkmark will not appear if the assignment is submitted to an external tool, such as Turnitin or a publisher site.

2. Masquerade as the student, go to Grades, and go to the assignment to view submission details. If there's nothing there, go to the student's personal Files (still masquerading), and see if the assignment is in the Submissions folder for the course. Occasionally - especially with outdated browsers - the file uploads but does not get properly submitted.

This is a thorny issue. In the majority of these situations, I can't find a missing submission, or prove that they tried to submit. But I can usually get an inkling that they tried (or vice versa - their page views show they've never even once clicked on the assignment).

View solution in original post

5 Replies
tdelillo
Community Champion

@jknowlton - As an admin, there are two things I typically do when this issue arises:

1. Check the student's page views around the time they say they submitted. If there is a checkmark in the "Participated" column, they submitted the assignment. If you can see that they went to the URL for the assignment, and there isn't a checkmark, it often means they thought they submitted, tried unsuccessfully to submit, etc.

Caveat: The participation checkmark will not appear if the assignment is submitted to an external tool, such as Turnitin or a publisher site.

2. Masquerade as the student, go to Grades, and go to the assignment to view submission details. If there's nothing there, go to the student's personal Files (still masquerading), and see if the assignment is in the Submissions folder for the course. Occasionally - especially with outdated browsers - the file uploads but does not get properly submitted.

This is a thorny issue. In the majority of these situations, I can't find a missing submission, or prove that they tried to submit. But I can usually get an inkling that they tried (or vice versa - their page views show they've never even once clicked on the assignment).

View solution in original post

jknowlton
Community Participant

Tracey - Thanks so much for your response. Unfortunately, I couldn't find

any indication that the student had submitted the assignment, but you

opened a whole new world to me as far as looking for this like this.

Thank you!

On Mon, Oct 31, 2016 at 6:51 PM, tdelillo@alamo.edu <instructure@jiveon.com>

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

I would add that it's always good to check which browser the student was using when you look at Page views. We've had a lot of problems with students using IE or Edge and their assignment not submitting.

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@jknowlton ,  @tdelillo ​ has given you some great advice, that I've filed away for my own personal reference should the situation arise. As a teacher, I regularly (but not frequently) have students claim to have submitted an assignment even though I don't see the submission on my end. Generally speaking, admin intervention reveals that they (1) did not, and were nowhere near the assignment page on the date claimed (as evidenced by page views)--so I call that "good try, gentle student, but no dice"; (2) were on the page, and were using IE or Edge; (3) submitted the assignment, but to a different class. I'm sure submissions through mobile are also a complicating factor in trying to investigate this, because of the equivocal nature of mobile page views. As Tracey says, it can be a thorny issue.

jknowlton
Community Participant

Stefanie - Thanks for your words of wisdom. This is my first experience

with Canvas Community, and I'm impressed with the results so far! The

advice was great, as well. We are in our first full year of Canvas

implementation, so there are lots of nooks and crannies for us to discover

and explore, such as this one.

Thanks again.

On Tue, Nov 1, 2016 at 7:29 AM, stefanievsanders@gmail.com <