cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
duquettk
Community Participant

How will new Commons Groups be displayed to Instructors?

Jump to solution

From Commons "Groups" Recent Update Email:

"Otherwise, resources shared to a sub-account will be associated to a group with the same name (i.e. resources shared to ‘math department’ sub-account will now be in a group called ‘math department’)."

Will instructors see a list of group names, with the group names be exactly the same as the sub-account titles?  Can instructors create groups?  Invite members?

Would it be possible to get a screen shot of what instructors will see before this goes live June 12th?

Thanks!

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
biray
Community Champion

Thank you for your question,  @duquettk ​.

Will instructors see a list of group names, with the group names be exactly the same as the sub-account titles?

If the instructor was already listed under the sub-account, then after the migration, yes... the instructor will see the group name instead of the sub-account name (which from their POV should be the same).

Can instructors create groups?

Only admins can create groups.

Invite members?

Group managers can invite members. An admin can assign one or more group members as Group Manager. All sub-account admins during the Groups migration will be automatically assigned as Group Manager. When inviting members, if you can't find a listed user, it means the user has not officially accessed Canvas Commons. Once he/she has accessed, then their name should show up in a search to add.

As far as screenshot, essentially, instructors will see exactly the same thing. Instead of seeing the word 'sub-account', they'll see 'groups'.

Hope that helps! If so, would you please go ahead and mark this answer as 'correct' - thank you!

View solution in original post

10 Replies
biray
Community Champion

Thank you for your question,  @duquettk ​.

Will instructors see a list of group names, with the group names be exactly the same as the sub-account titles?

If the instructor was already listed under the sub-account, then after the migration, yes... the instructor will see the group name instead of the sub-account name (which from their POV should be the same).

Can instructors create groups?

Only admins can create groups.

Invite members?

Group managers can invite members. An admin can assign one or more group members as Group Manager. All sub-account admins during the Groups migration will be automatically assigned as Group Manager. When inviting members, if you can't find a listed user, it means the user has not officially accessed Canvas Commons. Once he/she has accessed, then their name should show up in a search to add.

As far as screenshot, essentially, instructors will see exactly the same thing. Instead of seeing the word 'sub-account', they'll see 'groups'.

Hope that helps! If so, would you please go ahead and mark this answer as 'correct' - thank you!

View solution in original post

duquettk
Community Participant

Thanks very much for that information.  Follow up question-- when instructors view the list of groups, will they see all of the groups at the institution or just the groups of which they're members? 

biray
Community Champion

Just the groups of which they are a member. Smiley Happy

duquettk
Community Participant

Hi Biray,

Thanks so much for all of these answers-- very helpful! I have a few more questions about Commons which I'm hoping you can help us with:

1. Where do we create groups given we have nothing shared to Commons?

2. How do we add faculty to groups?  Is there a systematic way to do it?

Thanks so much,

Kelly

kda106
Community Participant

I don't see an option in this screenshot to share to "only me". Will that still be an option?

Hi  @biray ​ and thanks for the links.  Do we have any document I can give to a Commons Group Manager about how to add people to the group, and in general manager their Commons groups?  How do I manage Groups in Commons? is for Admins, as are most of the other documents. The group managers are usually teachers.

Thanks!

Thanks for the feedback,  @Nancy_Webb_CCSF ​.

Sorry for the delayed response, but I brought your feedback to our documentation team. They are in the process of updating the Commons guides (and doing some re-organizing of some of the content). In speaking with them, I believe they will find a way to work in a solution that will address your use-case. I'm not sure when the ETA on the updated Commons Guides will be, but just thought you should know!

FYI Deactivated user​

Thank you for your patience,  @Nancy_Webb_CCSF ​. Our documentation team has created a separate guide to help address the Group Manager roles independently of the 'admin role' in Commons. I think you'll find this guide will be more appropriate for teachers: How do I manage Groups in Commons?

Please let us know if you have any further feedback.

FYI: Deactivated user​