cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sposato_pamela
Community Member

I can not submit any document types at all through dropbox or as an email attachment

Jump to solution

I can't submit any format of my work to my instructor at home through canvas dropbox or through canvas email as an attachment. It does work when I go to school to use their computer.  I don't know what I have to set up for it to work. I have window 7, I use chrome I have the lastest java and adobe.

Does anyone have any suggesting

for trouble shooting

Help!

Thanks ,Pam

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

I just did a test on firefox and it worked. I can't believe it.  I told my instructor 2 weeks ago at the campus to  try firefox because none of her links were working on chrome and it worked. Then I never thought to try it myself. Thanks! I won't have to go to the campus or local library anymore.

View solution in original post

10 Replies
awilliams
Community Champion

Hey Deactivated user​, if possible you should head over to your local Canvas support personnel. Check out Eastern Florida State College | Canvas LMS for a phone number and more information. If for some reason you are unable to reach them and would like to post screenshots of the problem I can see if I notice anything.

Thanks Adam,

I've contacted the school IT support and they said since I can utilize canvas drop box and send attachments through the email. That there is a problem with my computer. I wish that they could advise me on what kind of problem.

Thanks, Pam

on my way to school to do my work again

Deactivated user​, in regards to your computer problems here are a few resources/ideas that might help:

• What are the basic computer specifications for Canvas?
  • Do you have a different Internet browser or have you updated Chrome lately? In general most problems like you describe are fixed by switching Internet browsers. My recommendation is to make sure Chrome is updated and try again and if it doesn't work then download Firefox and see if it works on Firefox. See - Which browsers does Canvas support?
  • Is this a desktop or a laptop? If it's a laptop then I recommend trying a different internet connection. Go to a friends house, Panera, Starbucks, etc and see if you can get your assignment to upload using their free wifi.

When you can, give these ideas a try and let us know if it helped!

ejackson
Community Champion

Pamela, you might also want to do virus and spyware scans on your computer. I'm not sure if that is causing this problem or not, but it may. Our College has a Student Help Desk, which I oversee, where students can bring their computers or laptops to us and we will scan them for viruses or spyware. We have a couple of programs we always use that work very well:

1. Microsoft Security Essentials (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security-essentials-download) is one you can get directly from Microsoft, it's free, and it updates when you do your Windows updates. It works in the background to constantly monitor and help prevent your computer getting viruses.

2. MalwareBytes (www.malwarebytes.org)(be sure to choose the FREE VERSION DOWNLOAD button and do not choose to start the 30-day trial of the Pro version) is a very good spyware scanner, it has a free version, and is really good at zapping and removing spyware/malware infections. Note: If, during installation, you forget to not activate the 30 day free trial of the Pro version, there is a place on the Malwarebytes dashboard to "End free trial." The free version works great and you may be surprised at some of the things it may find and clean up on your computer.

Also, as  @kona  mentioned, sometimes it is a matter of updating or changing the browser you are using. Or, if you are using a laptop and can get Canvas to work at another place that has Wifi, it may be an issue with your Internet Service Provider blocking something to do with Canvas. Another thing to check is to make sure you don't have your popup blocker turned on, which might prevent Canvas from being able to open up a window when you are trying to browser for you file to attach it.

I personally almost always use Firefox when working in Canvas and have had very good luck. I have also used Chrome with Canvas and have been fine, they both are very compatible with Canvas. Just be sure to keep them updated.

Hope some of this information helps. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask! 🙂

Also Deactivated user​, don't forget about my offer to try to diagnose your computer issues remotely if you are able to document the problem through screenshots or describe it in more detail. I am happy to try and help. And since you are able to travel to your school, if you are having issues on a laptop you should take that computer with you and see if the help desk people are willing to look at it as well. But for us to help will need to know some basics:

1. Is this a laptop or desktop?

2. What operating system and version are you on?

3. What web browser(s) and version(s) are you on?

4. What specifically seems to not work?

5. Can you document the issue in screenshots?

Ive tried every updated  browers on my computer. The dropbox on Canvas only works on other computers...I can do all of my assignments and quizzes on Canvas just not the dropbox or attachment to the instructor on email.

I just did a test on firefox and it worked. I can't believe it.  I told my instructor 2 weeks ago at the campus to  try firefox because none of her links were working on chrome and it worked. Then I never thought to try it myself. Thanks! I won't have to go to the campus or local library anymore.

View solution in original post

Since we've determined it is Chrome, and based off your feedback you've confirmed you are running the latest version of Chrome, can we also determine this is specific to Chrome when you are logged in to Chrome? The reason I ask is that there are any number of Chrome extensions that can be installed which may have an impact on your experience inside Canvas. The most likely culprit would be an ad-blocker. You can try opening an incognito window of Chrome (Browse in private with incognito mode - Chrome Help​) and if that fixes the problem then it is quite likely you have an extension causing a problem.