cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kmeyer3
Community Member

I do not want weights, but every category has been given a zero weight.

Jump to solution

I'm a little confused because all of my students are receiving a zero percent right now after two quizzes.  I know this is because under "assignments" It is showing that quizzes are worth zero percent of the grade.  However, I do not want to weight categories in any way.  When I don't enter a weight, it automatically gives it a weight of zero.  I don't see any option to get around this.  What am I missing?

Thanks,

Kevin

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
James
Community Champion

@kmeyer3 ,

It sounds like you need to turn off the assignment group weights and use a straight points-based system.

If you click on the Assignments course navigation item, you should get an options button (three vertical dots).

306198_pastedImage_2.png

When you click there, it allows you to select the Assignment Groups Weight

That should give you a screen like this:

306199_pastedImage_3.png

Just uncheck the "Weight final grade based on assignment groups" and it will allow you to keep assignment groups, which allow you to use rules to drop assignments if you like, but doesn't weight them other than the points they're already worth.

After I uncheck that and save it, I have no more weights. Here's what that same screen snippet from before looks like now. The 65% next to Exams is gone.

306296_pastedImage_4.png

View solution in original post

3 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @kmeyer3 ...

You should be able to move all assignments (including your quizzes) on your "Assignments" page just to one large assignment group where everything is weighted at 100% of the grade.  You can then get rid of any assignment groups that you don't need.  For example, you can set it up like this:

Assignments

Everything is under the default "Assignments" assignment group.  Would that work for your needs?  I'm not sure if I am interpreting your question correctly, so please accept my apologies if I am missing the boat on this.

James
Community Champion

@kmeyer3 ,

It sounds like you need to turn off the assignment group weights and use a straight points-based system.

If you click on the Assignments course navigation item, you should get an options button (three vertical dots).

306198_pastedImage_2.png

When you click there, it allows you to select the Assignment Groups Weight

That should give you a screen like this:

306199_pastedImage_3.png

Just uncheck the "Weight final grade based on assignment groups" and it will allow you to keep assignment groups, which allow you to use rules to drop assignments if you like, but doesn't weight them other than the points they're already worth.

After I uncheck that and save it, I have no more weights. Here's what that same screen snippet from before looks like now. The 65% next to Exams is gone.

306296_pastedImage_4.png

View solution in original post

kmeyer3
Community Member

Thanks James, this is exactly what I was looking for! I really appreciate it.