cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
roganp
Community Participant

I use Pools in Canvas quizzes, what is the companrable tool in Canvas next

Jump to solution

I use pools in Canvas quizzes but they do not scramble. Generally 2 questions per pool.

I am looking for that function in Quizzes Next but I am confused with categorization and item banks. Please help me understand how to do the same with pools in canvas next. 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
lph
Community Champion

Hi  @roganp ‌

I’m making the assumption that you migrated or are used to Blackboard, which uses pools or groups of questions to pull from randomly.

Randomization from an item bank of questions is very easy in Quizzes.next.

In the quiz, click the blue plus then the pig icon. The item banks will open on the right. Click on the bank then the +All/Random. The question group will now be in the quiz. Click within that group and you’ll see options for Use all questions or Randomly select. Choose Random, then how many questions to show. 

308391_E51C5547-3919-4E4F-B4F4-EE56D607956A.jpeg

Once you click done then then the number of questions in the quiz updates. 

308392_7BD16D10-AED4-4D5C-979C-CBF1EDA947BD.jpeg

I hope this answers your questions. 

View solution in original post

5 Replies
lph
Community Champion

Hi  @roganp ‌

I’m making the assumption that you migrated or are used to Blackboard, which uses pools or groups of questions to pull from randomly.

Randomization from an item bank of questions is very easy in Quizzes.next.

In the quiz, click the blue plus then the pig icon. The item banks will open on the right. Click on the bank then the +All/Random. The question group will now be in the quiz. Click within that group and you’ll see options for Use all questions or Randomly select. Choose Random, then how many questions to show. 

308391_E51C5547-3919-4E4F-B4F4-EE56D607956A.jpeg

Once you click done then then the number of questions in the quiz updates. 

308392_7BD16D10-AED4-4D5C-979C-CBF1EDA947BD.jpeg

I hope this answers your questions. 

View solution in original post

roganp
Community Participant

I have not used Blackboard in a long time. Before Canvas I used Desire to Learn. I used pooled questions in publisher sites, such as CengageNow, Connect and Wiley Plus when algorithmic questions were not available.

One class I teach we must cover certain specific topics throughout the course. I cannot rely on the computer to select the type of question to be asked on the quiz/test. I need to specify certain questions per quiz question. I use pools to minimize cheating.

For example on a 15 question quiz I use 15 pools. Each pool has at least 2 questions that I add specific questions to that quiz question. In Canvas when I use quizzes and I use the pooled format it does not allow me to scramble the order of the questions [Canvas quizzes do allow the scramble of the answers] therefore it does not minimize the chances of students cheating.

I understand the ability to have the computer randomize the questions but I am looking for more specifics. Do I need a separate bank for each pooled question? of can I use for example a chapter 3 test bank and be able to select specific questions from that bank to fill the individual pooled question?

Thanks

lph
Community Champion

Hi

If I’m understanding you correctly then an approach might be to narrow down the item banks by topics; not by chapter but by Topic. I’m also starting to divide up banks into 3 levels of questions— easy, medium, challenging.. In turn, you would add questions from multiple banks to the assessment. This gives you the randomization and common levels of difficulty. 

To ensure specific questions, when in the assessment, click on the pig to open the item banks, choose the bank, and click on the blue button for the question you want added. This adds the specific question to the assessment.

308415_ED29F917-E1E9-45B5-95D3-FC69B1BB5B6A.jpeg

Next, here are my settings for assessments. Notice that I enable shuffle questions. 

308414_8E5DFB9B-E8D0-4813-A6E4-2A347573D351.jpeg

Does this help?

ndcruz
Community Participant

Hi,

Thanks for the explanation of how to scramble questions in Quizzes.Next. I found this to be helpful.

My question is related to this: Is it possible to scramble the answer choices in multiple choice questions with Quizzes.Next? I use this a lot in the current "Quizzes" and have not been able to find this in Quizzes.Next yet.

Thanks.

Noella Dcruz

Joliet Junior College, IL

ndcruz
Community Participant

I found the answer to my question in https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-15070-4152780604

The only drawback with this feature in Quizzes.Next is that each question's answer choices have to have shuffled. But I'm glad that the option is available.

Noella Dcruz