cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rryan
Community Participant

If I delete student discussion, does it reset or can they still see replies?

Jump to solution

My discussions require a student to post before seeing others replies. When I delete their initial post (because they didn't follow directions), do they have to post once again to see replies? I'm worried that their initial post gave them access to all other replies, EVEN WHEN I deleted it. My question basically is: since they made their first post, EVEN WITH me deleting it, does this mean that they still have access to other replies even though I deleted theirs, or do they have to post again to be able to see replies. My worry is that students will give crappy answers knowing I'll delete just to see other student's replies.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@rryan , this is a timely question at the start of a new semester, and it just came up yesterday in Modify Access to group member who jumped the gun?   @kblack 's experimentation comprehensively answers the question. While the linked discussion refers to "groups," the behavior is the same for a non-group discussion.

And as far as students giving "crappy answers," my remedy to that is simple. I don't delete the posts at all; after all, by the time I delete it, chances are a student has already been able to see the others' responses. Instead, I put this instruction in the discussion prompt:

For this assignment, users must post before seeing the replies of others. Accordingly, your first post must contain the substantial content for which you would like to receive a grade--so make that first post count!

Students who post just anything get a zero grade for the assignment. Result: I never get crappy answers. Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@rryan , this is a timely question at the start of a new semester, and it just came up yesterday in Modify Access to group member who jumped the gun?   @kblack 's experimentation comprehensively answers the question. While the linked discussion refers to "groups," the behavior is the same for a non-group discussion.

And as far as students giving "crappy answers," my remedy to that is simple. I don't delete the posts at all; after all, by the time I delete it, chances are a student has already been able to see the others' responses. Instead, I put this instruction in the discussion prompt:

For this assignment, users must post before seeing the replies of others. Accordingly, your first post must contain the substantial content for which you would like to receive a grade--so make that first post count!

Students who post just anything get a zero grade for the assignment. Result: I never get crappy answers. Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

rryan
Community Participant

Brilliant!

I love the answer, and absolutely love the warning! Thank you!