cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
eleri_syverson

If a module is locked, do students received a notification when it is published?

Jump to solution

If an unpublished module is locked until a certain date, and I publish it before that date, do students receive a notification? Do they receive any notifications about activity in published but locked modules before their release date?

1 Solution
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@eleri_syverson ​, from my own personal experience, I don't get a notification about the Module itself being published, but I DO get notifications about the different assignments in the Module. I double-checked and the notification comes through as a change in due date notification - I'm guessing because the assignment was previously not published/available and now it is so the due date is considered changed and/or because it's considered a "new assignment."

The notification for this is the "Due Date" notification and according to the following guide - How do I set my Notification Preferences? - the default is "weekly." This means unless your students changed it (to ASAP or Daily) they would only be notified once a week of all assignment due date changes.

As for your other question about what happens if the module is published, but locked? I just checked and students WILL receive a notifications about assignments in that Module that are published. Example: I have a published but locked Module with two published assignments (one is a quiz and one is an actual assignment). If I change the due date of either or both of those assignments the students will get a notification of a change in due date. In addition, if you were to add an assignment (that was published) or content (that was published) to this Module then students would be notified of the addition of this content to the Module. The notifications in play for this are "Due Date" and "Course Content." I already discussed the default for "Due Date," but for Course Content the default is "Do Not Send."

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @eleri_syverson ​...

To my knowledge, there aren't any notifications you can set as a user in Canvas to let you know that a module has been published.  I did a quick search here in the Canvas Community, and I couldn't find any recent Feature Idea suggestions.  So, if you feel this is an important feature for you to have in Canvas, I'd encourage you to submit a Feature Idea request here: Canvas Feature Ideas using this as a guide: How do I create a new feature idea?.

Hope this helps!

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@eleri_syverson ​, from my own personal experience, I don't get a notification about the Module itself being published, but I DO get notifications about the different assignments in the Module. I double-checked and the notification comes through as a change in due date notification - I'm guessing because the assignment was previously not published/available and now it is so the due date is considered changed and/or because it's considered a "new assignment."

The notification for this is the "Due Date" notification and according to the following guide - How do I set my Notification Preferences? - the default is "weekly." This means unless your students changed it (to ASAP or Daily) they would only be notified once a week of all assignment due date changes.

As for your other question about what happens if the module is published, but locked? I just checked and students WILL receive a notifications about assignments in that Module that are published. Example: I have a published but locked Module with two published assignments (one is a quiz and one is an actual assignment). If I change the due date of either or both of those assignments the students will get a notification of a change in due date. In addition, if you were to add an assignment (that was published) or content (that was published) to this Module then students would be notified of the addition of this content to the Module. The notifications in play for this are "Due Date" and "Course Content." I already discussed the default for "Due Date," but for Course Content the default is "Do Not Send."

Hope this helps!

eleri_syverson

This has been really helped -- thank you both very much!

srbrassfield
Community Participant

I think the feature idea I requested here would include this: Notifications when new content or assignments become available.   Please upvote if you agree!

0 Kudos