cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
srbrassfield
Community Participant

If a student deletes a discussion post will it also delete all threaded replies?

Jump to solution

I would enable editing and deleting if I didn't think it would delete other students' assignments.  Blackboard has an option to allow students to delete their own post if it has no replies.  I'm afraid to check this option because I don't know how Canvas will behave.  

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
orwinr
Community Champion

Hi  @srbrassfield ,

You should be fine with turning this feature on. According to the Canvas Student Guide found at: How do I edit or delete discussion replies as a student?, it says :

"If you delete a discussion reply with other course user replies attached, Canvas shows a Deleted by notification. The notification includes your name and the date and time the post was deleted. This entry cannot be removed.

However, if you delete a reply that does not have any course user replies attached, Canvas will not display a Deleted by notification."

Go ahead and turn it on and all should be fine 🙂

View solution in original post

2 Replies
orwinr
Community Champion

Hi  @srbrassfield ,

You should be fine with turning this feature on. According to the Canvas Student Guide found at: How do I edit or delete discussion replies as a student?, it says :

"If you delete a discussion reply with other course user replies attached, Canvas shows a Deleted by notification. The notification includes your name and the date and time the post was deleted. This entry cannot be removed.

However, if you delete a reply that does not have any course user replies attached, Canvas will not display a Deleted by notification."

Go ahead and turn it on and all should be fine 🙂

View solution in original post

colleen_bergin1
Community Participant

Yes, if one person deletes their discussion reply and there are threaded replies underneath that reply, it will not delete those.  It only deletes the reply intended to be deleted.