Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
abunag
Community Member

If a student is dropped from a course and re-added later, do their grades need to be re-added?

Jump to solution

I was under the impression that a student's grades would reappear when they were re-added to a class.  However, a faculty member submitted a ticket about a student who's grades didn't return when they were re-added.

I know it's the same student and they were in the class before the drop date.

Any ideas?  Did I make an incorrect assumption?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@abunag ​, my previous experience has been that when you re-added a student all of their previous grades do come back. I'd definitely escalate this to Canvas Support to see what they can find out.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@abunag ​, my previous experience has been that when you re-added a student all of their previous grades do come back. I'd definitely escalate this to Canvas Support to see what they can find out.

Was the student added to the course and the same section (like a roster) in that course?
In my experience both details need to be correct... plus our SIS data gets fed into our Canvas LMS in such a way that if a student's status is "dropped", then our manual re-enrollment of that student is overridden automatically by our automated SIS data updates.

To put it another way, here's how it works at our school and maybe it's similar for your institution, so check with your Canvas admin team:

• Student A drops class. His status is "dropped"
  • Student A gets removed from the corresponding Canvas course automatically by our SIS data update process
  • Student A's grades vanish from gradebook
  • if an admin manually re-enrolls Student A, with the course & section data correct, then Student A temporarily reappears in the course and his grades reappear in the gradebook
  • But... Student A's official status is still "dropped." So the next time our automated SIS data update process runs, it yanks Student A out of the course.
hallmans
Community Member

We have had this happen recently- a student dropped out of the program and so was removed by the registrar. However, they had finished some of the their courses to completion and to get credit they needed to be added back into Canvas. When the SIS import came through, all grades reappeared.

While we were going through that process, I was able to go into the test account and download the individual students grade book and save it in case we needed it.