If we are using Terms to automatically conclude a course, can I change the end date to open the course access again?

debbie_ellis
Community Participant

Canvas went live for us at the beginning of this semester, which was earlier this week. Although we didn't use them, we created course shells for the Fall 2019 semester in our Canvas instance. We are moving away from Blackboard, so faculty need to get their content from Blackboard. Some would like to build out their courses from the Fall 2019 course shells, but since they are concluded (we have Terms set up) we can no longer add users, such as the TA who would help bring over content from Blackboard.

I know that one way to open the course access is to use the "Begin" and "End" fields in the course settings. But, I don't want to go in course by course to do this. If I extend the date of the semester in the "Teacher" and "TAs" lines of the Fall 2019 term in the "Terms" area, would that work? Would it take the course shell out of the "read-only" status, or would it be more efficient to create new course shells with the term set at "Default Term" for the faculty who want to bring content over from Blackboard? Does that all make sense?