Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tdelillo
Community Champion

If you manually unlock a quiz, are module requirements disregarded?

Jump to solution

I could swear I've seen this discussed, but I can't find it. Apologies if I'm duplicating any questions/discussions/documents.

Scenario: A module has two items. The first is an assignment, the second is a quiz. In the module settings, both items are requirements, and sequential order is enforced.The assignment must be submitted before the quiz is unlocked.

Question: If the instructor manually unlocks the quiz for a student because the due/lock date has passed, is that student able to bypass the assignment in the module if they go straight to the quiz (via the grades page, the to-do list, etc.)?

This might be a question for https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/admins?sr=search&searchId=87d85f96-0995-44de-b9d2-594f16e21f9...‌, but it might be something an instructor has encountered and can speak to.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
tdelillo
Community Champion

Update: I found the discussion of this issue. In my own personal email. *face palm*. AND I performed a couple of tests to ensure I could replicate the problem.

To answer my own question, yes, if a teacher manually unlocks a quiz, and the student navigates to it via the Grades link, they can take the quiz without completing the module pre-req. I actually submitted a ticket for it on May 2, 2017, which was escalated to the Product and Engineering teams and is still "On Hold".

View solution in original post

3 Replies
jbuchholz
Community Contributor

Tracy,

It is my understanding that any module requirements are over-arching requirements and need to be satisfied regardless of the quiz being unlocked. If the quiz lived outside of the module or if the student has access to the quiz via another tab that may change things, but it is my understanding that the module requirements govern the content within that particular area.

Jesse

tdelillo
Community Champion

Update: I found the discussion of this issue. In my own personal email. *face palm*. AND I performed a couple of tests to ensure I could replicate the problem.

To answer my own question, yes, if a teacher manually unlocks a quiz, and the student navigates to it via the Grades link, they can take the quiz without completing the module pre-req. I actually submitted a ticket for it on May 2, 2017, which was escalated to the Product and Engineering teams and is still "On Hold".

tdelillo
Community Champion

Under normal conditions, if a student navigates to a quiz via the Quiz tab or Assignments tab or whatever route, they will still be advised that the quiz is part of a module with requirements, and they're directed to whatever item(s) they need to complete first. So yes, for the most part, they can't get around those requirements. But it turns out that the manually unlocking does open a bit of a back door via Grades (see my "update").