cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cstammerjohn
Community Participant

Images in Discussions not visible

I have started a Discussion requesting my students to post images of their projects. When an image is attached to a reply entered on a computer, they show as an attachment that must be downloaded to view. When an image is attached to a reply using the phone app, it is visible within the reply without downloading.

Is there a way to always have them visible?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Stef_retired
Community Team
Community Team

Hi,  @cstammerjohn , when I was using Discussions in Canvas as a place where students could display their images, I disabled students' ability to attach files to their discussion posts, and instead directed them to embed their images using the instructions in How do I embed an image in a discussion reply as a student?‌ Images embedded in this fashion will display inline and will not require a download.

You'll find instructions for removing that attach feature in https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12688-415265779 (in this case, disable the default setting).

Edit: The "How do I embed an image..." link states that an image must first be uploaded before it can be embedded. When trying this out, I found that you can upload an image from within the Embed Image window. When you select the Canvas tab and select the destination folder, the Upload File button becomes active. This saves multiple steps of upload to Files first.

343588_EmbedImage.JPG

Original reply:

I was afraid that would be the answer. Seems strange that the behavior is different depending on the platform used to create the reply.

Thanks!