Updated

Original Subject Line: some students have image in people others do not

Why is that?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sheldonj1
Community Contributor

LOL

Well, the people that are in charge of Canvas at the college ARE on top of their game!

I immediately posted a question to the helpdesk about this and JUST AS IMMEDIATELY received this reply and....the college is "out" and "on snow days" . They ARE on their game! Smiley Happy

[quote]

Students will need to upload their own profile photos under their account in Canvas. We are looking at auto-populating profile photos from students' OTC photos, but this will come in future semesters. If you would like to see students profile photos, you can direct them to this tutorial

[/quote]

So, problem addressed! Smiley Happy

james

View solution in original post

5 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @sheldonj1 ​...

Those are profile pictures that can be added.  Your school's Canvas admin(s) make the decision on whether or not they allow you to upload your own profile picture or not.  Here is a Canvas Guide that I found for you on the topic: How do I add a profile picture in my user account?

Also, I wanted to let you know that I am going to modify your subject line a bit and tag your message with keywords.  Doing this will help when others search for similar topics here in the Canvas Community.  If the revised subject line doesn't quite reflect what you are asking in the body of your message, please let me know, and we can work to make any necessary changes.  I hope this is okay with you, James.

Hope this information is helpful!

sheldonj1
Community Contributor

Hi

Thank you for the quick response. Smiley Happy

I read the thing about putting my own profile picture in and have so done, for 'my profile" and I do, indeed, see the image at various appropriate places in the classes and my profile.

However, it seems odd that if "the college decides" to allow student images in their profiles on my "people" that I can view:

a) in the people section I can see my image and the image of two other students.

b) several people that have "viewed the course" and times are given, some with extended viewing times but they do not have images showing.

It would be tedious for an instructor to have to manually somehow enable student images one by one.

One of the advantages of the "Pinnacle" grading app at the college is that student images are provide automatically.

So, I guess since that the college is on a shakedown cruise with Canvas and I'm a rather early adopter I'll just have to wait.

Thanks again.

James

It would be tedious for an instructor to have to manually somehow enable student images one by one.

Completely agree, but as an FYI...this isn't something that individual instructors would be able to control in Canvas (whether or not to allow profile pictures in Canvas).  This would be a decision made at the account level.

sheldonj1
Community Contributor

Hi

Again, thanks for the prompt reply!:)

Your comment seems to cover the situation,

However, it is odd that some students and my "instructor / student" have images but others do not.

Now that you have made the comments I'll contact the admins and let them know about the discussion here.

It may be that I'm just an early adopter that they do not have all the kinks worked out.

Unless you think that there might be other comments, you can mark this tread a solved if you wish. Smiley Happy

Again, thanks for the prompt replies.

James

sheldonj1
Community Contributor

LOL

Well, the people that are in charge of Canvas at the college ARE on top of their game!

I immediately posted a question to the helpdesk about this and JUST AS IMMEDIATELY received this reply and....the college is "out" and "on snow days" . They ARE on their game! Smiley Happy

[quote]

Students will need to upload their own profile photos under their account in Canvas. We are looking at auto-populating profile photos from students' OTC photos, but this will come in future semesters. If you would like to see students profile photos, you can direct them to this tutorial

[/quote]

So, problem addressed! Smiley Happy

james

View solution in original post