cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
imank
Community Member

Images not showing up in Canvas on Safari?

Jump to solution

Are any of you experiencing issues with images not showing up in Safari (13.1) images not showing up in Canvas or are broken? I've looked at may announcements on Safari in both Teacher mode and Student mode and my images are not showing up. When I log into Chrome or Firefox my images show up just fine? Has anyone experienced this on their end?

I've included screen shots below.

Any help would be appreciated.

3 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Stef_retired
Community Team
Community Team

Hi,  @imank  Welcome to the Canvas Community! According to several members here, a recent update to the Safari browser has changed the default setting for cross-site tracking. Please follow the instructions here to remedy that.

Hope this helps, Kyle. Stay safe, and be well.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos

I am having the issue with images not showing up in Canvas on Safari . . . when I try to access the solution it says link not valid . . 

16 Replies
Stef_retired
Community Team
Community Team

Hi,  @imank  Welcome to the Canvas Community! According to several members here, a recent update to the Safari browser has changed the default setting for cross-site tracking. Please follow the instructions here to remedy that.

Hope this helps, Kyle. Stay safe, and be well.

0 Kudos

Stefanie,

Thank you for your help on this. That worked great!

Kyle

Awesome, Kyle, glad to hear it! Smiley Happy 

I am having the issue with images not showing up in Canvas on Safari . . . when I try to access the solution it says link not valid . . 

gulick_24
Community Participant

Hi @Stef_retired , I'm getting a 404 Page Not Found error when I try to open that solution link you listed. Could you let us know what the updated URL is please?

gulick_24
Community Participant

@Stef_retired  Thanks, but the solution for the photos not showing up on Safari said that it has to do with what version of Safari we're using. I checked, and all instructors on my team have the latest Safari iOS update (13.6.1), and the photos still aren't showing up. By the looks of the comments on that "solution", it's not actually fixed. What should we do?

gulick_24
Community Participant

@Stef_retiredI found the solution from another person at my institution:

Apple has recently updated one of the privacy controls in Safari, which is causing problems with image display in Canvas. If you are using the Safari browser to access Carmen, whether on a Mac or on an iPad/iPhone, you need to check your preferences to ensure that the images will be properly displayed.

On Mac

1. Open Safari
  2. Go to the Safari menu and select "Preferences…"
  3. Click into the Privacy tab
  4. Uncheck "Prevent cross-site tracking"
  5. Close the Preferences window and continue normally

On iOS:

1. Open the Settings app
  2. Scroll down the list of headings on the left and choose Safari
  3. Uncheck "Prevent Cross-Site Tracking" (under Privacy & Security)
  4. You can now use Safari normally

@gulick_24 

Yes, from time to time multiple different issues with different causes are posted to a single thread—and for that reason, we've asked people to contact Canvas Support because the cases often seem related but are stemming from different causes.