cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mashford
Community Member

Images not visible in QTI imports

Jump to solution

I have searched and couldn't find a thread, so I apologize if it exists. I am importing QTI quiz files from the publisher. These are Canvas files so I assumed there would be not issues. However, any images, this includes graphs, charts, etc are not importing properly they show up as broken links.

Has anyone experienced this and do you know the fix?

Thanks in advance,

Melissa

Tags (3)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@Mashford ​, we've experienced that on occasion with importing publisher resources, and found that our best recourse was to submit a help ticket to Canvas Support; they were usually able to remedy the problem quickly.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@Mashford ​, we've experienced that on occasion with importing publisher resources, and found that our best recourse was to submit a help ticket to Canvas Support; they were usually able to remedy the problem quickly.

View solution in original post

Thanks Stephanie. I appreciate the help.

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

....I was also able to find this somewhat related discussion for your consideration: Bad course shell?

MattHanes
Community Champion

One of the problems that we came across was the encoding of the QTI files. Some characters like parentheses are not encoded correctly when exported or imported and it causes the links not to work. This is a reported bug that Canvas is working on fixing. I was able to manually edit the QTI xml file to fix some of the encoding errors but it's really hard to know what to look for.

tankovpa
Community Participant

Since I started looking here when I encounter the problem, I wanted to share what I had learn so the next person may be saved some time in fixing the problem. I don't know if it is the same publisher, but we just experience the same issue from QTI exports from Problem Attic. I initially contacted Canvas support and they were able to identify the issue being with bad links within the export. I then contacted Problem Attic. Problem Attic's support indicated that they had changed how they map their links and that the user needs to re-export from PA and re-import into Canvas to resolve the issue. Below is a copy of Problem Attic's support email:

I don't know if it is the same publisher, but we just experience the same issue from QTI exports from Problem Attic. I initially contacted Canvas support and they were able to identify the issue being with bad links within the export. I then contacted Problem Attic. Problem Attic's support indicated that they had changed how they map their links and that the user needs to re-export from PA and re-import into Canvas to resolve the issue. Below is a copy of Problem Attic's support email:

"If the quiz was created earlier in the school year, it is necessary to do a re-export.  That is, download the QTI zip file in Problem-Attic and then re-upload into Canvas.  That should solve the problem, because it will restore the images that the quiz is pointing to."

"When a quiz is exported, our server hosts the images that appear in Canvas.  Regrettably, about a month after releasing the feature in Problem-Attic, we realized we made a mistake:  we weren't providing adequate support for long-term hosting.  We had hard-wired image addresses into the exported quizzes, and we'd soon run out of space if we continued down that path.   So we changed the feature to use virtual links, making it easier to move images around and eventually store them on an external site like Amazon web services.  This will make for a better long-term solution and faster delivery to a classroom full of students."