cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fbidwell
Community Contributor

Import Lon Capa quizzes?

Jump to solution

Does anybody have experience importing quizzes that were created in the Lon Capa LMS? Is there an export format from Lon Capa that works, or a way to process that exported XML file that will allow it to import to Canvas?

Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
scottdennis
Community Team
Community Team

Hi  @fbidwell ,

I'm going to go ahead and mark this question as answered.  As far as I can ascertain, nobody at Instructure has had experience with migrating content from Lon-Capa or access to any documentation that might tell us if there is a migration path.  You mentioned XML; if Lon-Capa is capable of exporting content in QTI or Common Cartridge format you might have an opportunity there.  Because this system was originally designed by the University that used it I would be surprised if export capabilities were included in the original design specifications but I could be wrong.  Without more information I guess we'll never know...

Thank you

View solution in original post

6 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @fbidwell ‌...

I am sorry to see that your question has been sitting here unanswered in the Canvas Community since early June.  sadpanda‌  I thought that I would check in with you, though.  Reading through your question, I've never heard of Lon Capa before, so I don't know what the capabilities of it really are.  If there was a way for you to export the quizzes out of this LMS and then somehow use one of the Guides listed here, https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10460#jive_content_id_Course_Import_Tool, *maybe* (and that's a strong *maybe*) you'd be able to import them into Canvas...but I'm really not sure.  If you were able to somehow export the quizzes, you might want to create a sandbox course in Canvas so that you can play around with it to see if importing will work for you.

Alternatively, if you've found a solution on your own since you first posted this question, would you mind sharing that with us here in the Canvas Community?  We look forward to hearing from you soon, Fred.

scottdennis
Community Team
Community Team

Hi Fred,

Unfortunately I don't have a good answer for you either.  I'm not familiar with Lon-Capa and I'm not finding any documentation on export options for Lon-Capa or documentation on migration strategies going from Lon-Capa to Canvas.  I wish I had a better answer for you!

scottdennis
Community Team
Community Team

Just FYI it looks like Lon-Capa a home-grown open source platform developed by Michigan State University.  I wonder if they might have had experience by now with this kind of migration?

scottdennis
Community Team
Community Team

Hi  @fbidwell ,

I'm going to go ahead and mark this question as answered.  As far as I can ascertain, nobody at Instructure has had experience with migrating content from Lon-Capa or access to any documentation that might tell us if there is a migration path.  You mentioned XML; if Lon-Capa is capable of exporting content in QTI or Common Cartridge format you might have an opportunity there.  Because this system was originally designed by the University that used it I would be surprised if export capabilities were included in the original design specifications but I could be wrong.  Without more information I guess we'll never know...

Thank you

fbidwell
Community Contributor

Sorry everybody, I've been on vacation the past week.  We were not able to find any export format from Lon Capa that would import to Canvas. It also appears that Lon Capa was used because it can generate its own unique and complex math question types that just aren't reproducible in Canvas or any other LMS. The instructor is just going to create new questions in Canvas.  Thanks for all the responses!

Sounds like a plan, Fred.  For what its worth, I tracked down the original implementation consultants who worked with UMich and they didn't know anything about Lon-Capa so that must have also been the determination early on.