cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bpeart
Community Member

Imported Content from External App Having "Issues"

I'm trying to import content from an external app.  I have the consumer key and shared secret.  I've downloaded the Canvas package from the app.  When I import it to Canvas, I get an alert that the content has issues.  The issue is that the files need to be configured.  From the course page, I see every module and that was imported, but whenever I click on it, I get an error message saying "Couldn't find valid settings for this link."  What am I missing?  What do I need to do to configure the files?

6 Replies
kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @bpeart 

Tell us more........................ what kind of external app? You mentioned a consumer key and shared secret, so I am suspecting that this is an LTI tool. If this is true, then it will need to be installed in your classroom(s) as an external app, not uploaded as a file set.

You can learn more at https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10300-415274551 

If this is not an LTI tool, let us know and provide some specifics so that we can better assist you,

Kelley

bpeart
Community Member

Yes, it is an LTI, called Middlebury Interactive.  I had already added the app using the steps that you provided.  Through Middlebury, I clicked on their Canvas download, and it gave me a zip file.  The zip file is what I have imported to the course.  As I mentioned before, all of the modules in the file show up, but I can't open them through Canvas. 

Does that help clear things up?

jschaffer
Community Champion

I would check the app that came with the upload.  A lot of times, there is a fake Key/Secret combo that comes with the download and you have to update it.  

Regards, 

Jason 

bpeart
Community Member

What do I check and how do I know if the combo is fake or how to update it? 

I got the combo from using the instructions they gave on how to use Middlebury in Canvas.  They took me to a page in my Middlebury account that had the Consumer Key, Shared Secret, and a list of my courses with download links on it.  I just copied and pasted the codes, downloaded the zips from the Canvas link on the page, and then tried to set up the app and import the content on the Canvas end.

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@bpeart ,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie

It was not resolved. I took the question to our district people who are in

charge of all of our learning apps, and they were unable to resolve it. I

just left it alone after that, as I could use the Middlebury app by

itself. I would very much like to use it through Canvas in the future,

though.

On Wed, Nov 28, 2018 at 8:38 AM rogrant@nmsu.edu <instructure@jiveon.com>