cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lgoodenough
Community Participant

Importing Content

Jump to solution

I am familiar with importing content, started using Canvas in April.  I have everything ready to go for this school year.  Our school updated the district opening page for Canvas.  I am trying to import content from one course to another.  I click on "select content" as I just want a couple of file to import.  The process stops at that point after I choose a class to import from.  No option to select the content appears.  Do I have to hit "import" first before the option to select the specific content is given to me?  I don't remember doing this earlier in the summer!  Second question-I have 7 courses starred on my course tab for this school year.  When I go to import content, even if I don't have "select past courses"...they ALL show up including last years course that are labeled the same with same hours...is there a way to limit the courses to import from to include JUST this current semester or is this a district issue with admin and their class descriptions?  All was working perfectly for me until the past couple of weeks!  Thanks for any imput.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
lgoodenough
Community Participant

I finally got everything to work properly...just an error on my part!

Thanks everyone for your help!

On Thu, Aug 13, 2015 at 4:56 PM, stefanievsanders@gmail.com <

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

lgoodenough​, I don't believe there have been any recent changes in the course import/export/copy process. When you navigate to the Settings tab, and click on the Import Content into this Course button in the right panel, select Copy a Canvas Course from the dropdown. All of your courses, past and present, concluded and active, will then populate the next dropdown. It's possible that your district has changed the way it "concludes" a course, which might explain why you're seeing a wider array of courses available than you did in the past.

(Your customized course dropdown or "starred" course designations has no bearing on which courses will appear in the Select a course dropdown. This has been the case for as long as I can remember.)

On this screen, you should also see two Content options: "All content" and "Select specific content." You'll see that depicted in this Canvas Guide lesson: How do I copy a Canvas course? Make sure to enable "Select specific content" to populate the list of items from the course you're copying so you can copy what you want rather than copying the entire course.

I find it easier and safer to export my course to an .imscc file rather than attempting the direct copy method. I then navigate to the new course shell, select "Canvas Course Export Package," choose my saved .imscc file, and if I'm only looking to copy some items, I enable the "Select specific content" option to copy only those items I want in your new course (and I use this all the time just for one or two items). Here are the instructions for importing and exporting courses: How do I export a Canvas course?  and How do I import a Canvas course export package?

lgoodenough
Community Participant

Thanks so much! I am not getting a a content option, but when I select

specific content, nothing is available to choose from! I have been using

Canvas since April and have had no problems importing! Just a recent

thing. I do appreciate your speedy response and advice!

On Thu, Aug 13, 2015 at 2:56 PM, Stefanie Sanders <instructure@jiveon.com>

lgoodenough​, that has happened to me when I have selected the wrong course. Depending on how a school names its courses, the course dropdown might contain several different options, each with the same name, but with markedly different content. Exporting the exact course you wish to copy and then importing only the content you wish to keep will help you avoid that.

lgoodenough
Community Participant

Thanks, will go back in and try yet again!

Sent from my iPad

lgoodenough
Community Participant

I finally got everything to work properly...just an error on my part!

Thanks everyone for your help!

On Thu, Aug 13, 2015 at 4:56 PM, stefanievsanders@gmail.com <

View solution in original post

lgoodenough, I'm glad it's working for you now, and thanks for letting us know!